Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 09-30-2019, 04:11 PM

Default Dante Virtual Sound Card running with HDX?

Hello, Has anyone know if its OK to run Dante Virual Sound Card as the same time as HDX system.
We have a Focusrite RED 4 pre and currently running with HDX, but I wanted to route the Mac system outputs via Dante Virtual Sound Card to the RED 4 outputs 7/8.
We had a few odd errors yesterday and wondering it was related to this.
Old 09-30-2019, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Dante Virtual Sound Card running with HDX?

Yes, it works great. I put DVS on all my machines to get stereo audio out of RX, Basehead, etc. DVS runs into my MTRX. I can even assign separate volume controls on the S6.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment
Old 09-30-2019, 07:35 PM

thanks will give it another try!
Old 09-30-2019, 09:54 PM

It works, although I find since upgrading to Mojave it loses clock occasionally and is a bit glitchy, and also needs to be manually started after rebooting. Also using with a MTRX.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
It works, although I find since upgrading to Mojave it loses clock occasionally and is a bit glitchy, and also needs to be manually started after rebooting. Also using with a MTRX.

Oh, bummer to hear that’s happening in Mojave. I’m still on 10.12.6, and is pretty much ‘set it and forget it’.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment
Old 10-01-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meshzu View Post
Hello, Has anyone know if its OK to run Dante Virual Sound Card as the same time as HDX system.
We have a Focusrite RED 4 pre and currently running with HDX, but I wanted to route the Mac system outputs via Dante Virtual Sound Card to the RED 4 outputs 7/8.
We had a few odd errors yesterday and wondering it was related to this.
Sorry, don´t understand your issue here, if you have the gear, why don´t you try it?

OK, having said that, don´t take it wrong, we have a RED4 connected to a iMAC through thunderbolt, but the HDX card is connected to a MTRX. We use it as an AD/DA via Dante to the MTRX. So the RED4 is in thunderbolt host mode and not Protools host mode.
Anyway, even in Protools host mode with an HDX card connected, we did a test and found that the Thunderbolt connection works in paralell, even if you set it to PT host. So, if you connect via thunderbolt, you actually don´t need the DVS at all. On Output routing tab, just set your analogue outs to be sourced from Playback 1 and 2 (MAC Core audio) and that´s it.
If you want to route it via Dante, just set your Dante outs from the DVS as your analogue outs source, although I did never tried it, always used thunderbolt.

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3
Old 10-29-2019, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Hey Luke,

Running into the same issue here. Any workarounds?

The only way I can get DVS to talk to the MTRX again. Is to Reboot the MTRX, Stop/Start DVS, UnRoute and and ReRoute. Then it randomly comes back.

-L
Old 10-29-2019, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laki View Post
Hey Luke,

Running into the same issue here. Any workarounds?

The only way I can get DVS to talk to the MTRX again. Is to Reboot the MTRX, Stop/Start DVS, UnRoute and and ReRoute. Then it randomly comes back.

-L
I haven't ever had to reboot the MTRX, but I do have to restart DVS every time I reboot – apparently it's a known issue on Mojave, for which a fix is in the works. The clocking issues though, I haven't found a workaround for. Most of the time it's fine. There was a period where I was wondering why glitch in classical music had suddenly become so popular, when I realised it was the DVS sync issue
Old 10-29-2019, 03:54 AM

Quote:
I haven't ever had to reboot the MTRX, but I do have to restart DVS every time I reboot – apparently it's a known issue on Mojave, for which a fix is in the works. The clocking issues though, I haven't found a workaround for. Most of the time it's fine. There was a period where I was wondering why glitch in classical music had suddenly become so popular, when I realised it was the DVS sync issue
I'm losing sound and have to jump through hoops to get it back. As well as needing to restart DVS.

Thinking of using the AES out of my Blackmagic card and into the 2nd AES DB25 on the MTRX. Probably more stable and no drop outs when doing CPU intensive operations.
Old 10-29-2019, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laki View Post
I'm losing sound and have to jump through hoops to get it back. As well as needing to restart DVS.

Thinking of using the AES out of my Blackmagic card and into the 2nd AES DB25 on the MTRX. Probably more stable and no drop outs when doing CPU intensive operations.
That's probably a better bet in pretty much every respect. Does the Blackmagic card have an AES in you can sync to? Otherwise, you'll need to change the clock source in DADman every time you want to switch to that input, which is a bit of a pain. (Or purchase the AES card for the MTRX that has SRC, which is a very expensive solution to that problem.)