Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2020, 07:18 AM

Default Softube Console 1

This is probably a silly question. I've been gifted a Softube Console 1 MK2 and obviously need a DAW to use it. Having used Pro Tools 8 LE in the past (I'm currently DAWless) I thought I'd revisit the platform in the hope I could use this hardware controller with Pro Tools First (free). I'm guessing due to the limitation of only being able to use AAX plugins from the marketplace this isn't possible? Could anyone give me some guidance?
Old 09-26-2020, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Softube Console 1

Its not going to work. Not because of AAX, but because of the limitations of Pro Tools Free. Then, there is a bit more to consider. You got the Console 1 hardware, but did you also get the iLok asset and access to the software. Without the software, the hardware is a door stop. with the software, you can use it with most any current DAW. If you don't have funds to buy Pro Tools(the regular version), then check out Reaper. Its free to try and cheap to buy. Check with softube(if you DO have the license) as I am pretty sure they have a VST version, which should work with Reaper, Studio One, Logic, etc.

Pro Tools First is a very stripped version and is meant(in my mind anyway) as a teaser to get folks to buy the full version(of course, there is a 30 day free demo of the full version). In any case, you will need an iLok(unless softube allows for other licensing) and the Console 1 software. The other option(if you got the entire package) is to sell the Console 1(the basic package goes for somewhere around $400 on the used market). Having owned one 2 years ago, it does have some cool aspects, but it also has some annoying limitations and quirks. For me, I can't say I miss it

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-26-2020, 03:57 PM

Thanks for your reply. Yes I will be receiving the license (I'll obviously be paying the fee for transferring it!). I hadn't much hope, but thought it would be great to get back into PT but don't like the current pricing model Avid have adopted.

Perhaps an alternative DAW is the way to go. Reaper looks interesting.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgec View Post
Thanks for your reply. Yes I will be receiving the license (I'll obviously be paying the fee for transferring it!). I hadn't much hope, but thought it would be great to get back into PT but don't like the current pricing model Avid have adopted.

Perhaps an alternative DAW is the way to go. Reaper looks interesting.
Or shop around for a second hand license for PT11 or 12(both should work fine with the Console 1 and all current AAX plugins)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave