Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 03-21-2013, 07:21 AM

Default No audio output except when solo

Hi,

I first must precise that I performed a search prior to creating this thread, but without any success.

I happened to have a strange issue with PT10HD. Lets me first explain how this happened :

I'm running PT with an old RME Multiface mkI. While my session was opened, I changed the buffer size by "setup>hardware>launch setup app" to launch the configuration window of the RME Hammerfall ASIO driver. I increased the buffer size from 256 to 2048, then PT asked me to close and open the software, that I did.

Then when I reopened the session I didn't have any sound. I'm using the bus 31-32 output on every track to go to a stereo track to record my mix (with a master fader assigend to bus 31-32). While mixing, I activate the Track Input Monitor button to hear the mix, and de-activate it when I want to hear the bounce recorder on the track. This worked fine until I changed the buffer size of the RME ASIO driver. Now I only have sound when I listen to the bounce (Track Input Monitor de-activated) and when I solo tracks (with Track Input Monitor activated). I looked at the "setup>I/O" menu, tried a bunch of things, without any success.

When I opened my session afer changing the bufer size, PT told me that "some paths were made inactive because they could no be assigned to existing paths definitions". Yet everythng is configured correctly in "Setup>I/O", so I must admit that I don't know what to do to recover my work ! I even tried to delete all paths and recreate them, but still I only have sound on my tracks when soloing...

The only thing that worked was to open the previous version of the session, but I've lost a whole day of work !
Any help or clue would be appreciated ! Not only to recover a working session, but also to make sure that it won't happen ever again !

Thanx in advance for your help.

Best regards.

Eric
Old 03-21-2013, 07:45 AM

Default Re: No audio output except when solo

This might be a tough one, but here are some thoughts: Open the Setup>IO and select the buses tab. Starting at the top, scroll down and look for anything in italics. If you find anything, un-check it. If that doesn't help, try setting all tracks(and master) to use your main outputs(the idea being to see if that path works). I suspect something just needs a reset or re-assignment

BTW, if the first bit helps, but keeps recurring, check the tracks/Groups bin(left side column) for hidden tracks, as those could be holding onto incorrect bus/output assignments.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-23-2013, 02:34 AM

Hi Albee,
Thanx a lot for your answer !
I had actually already tried that, but without any imporvement... I even deleted every busses and recreated them with "New Path....", tried to use the output 3-4 of the RME instead of the 1-2, nothing works !
I guess I've lost one day of work, but what p... me off the most is that if it ever happends again I still wouldn't know what to do to recover my work...
Anyway, thanx for your help !
Best regards.
Eric
Old 03-23-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricothebrol View Post
Hi Albee,
Thanx a lot for your answer !
I had actually already tried that, but without any imporvement... I even deleted every busses and recreated them with "New Path....", tried to use the output 3-4 of the RME instead of the 1-2, nothing works !
I guess I've lost one day of work, but what p... me off the most is that if it ever happends again I still wouldn't know what to do to recover my work...
Anyway, thanx for your help !
Best regards.
Eric

Did you go back to a Session Backup and see when it occurred? Every 5 minutes there is a copy made or set it to whatever you need it to be in Pt Prefs. Restore from one of those until you get to one that is functional. I do like 100 total backups at least every 5 minutes, so I have a lot of copies to refer to. Assuming this is not a Hardware issue.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 03-28-2013, 07:37 AM

Hi,
For the record, I finally found the problem ! After a few tries by creating a new session and importing the track one by one with "import session data", I found the problematic track. It was an occurence of waves Q4 that caused the loss of audio. I simply removed this insert and put it back again and the problem is now solved ! I hope that's the end of the surprises
Best regards
Eric
Old 12-03-2018, 08:36 PM

This is a very old thread, however I had the same issue as the O.P.

For anyone in the future that may be reading this....
My issue also happened to be a weird problem with a faulty plug-in. I'd suggest Shift+Alt bypass clicking each insert row (A, B, C...) until you get audio back. When you've narrowed it down to a row, bypass every plug-in in that row until you find the one that's giving the issue. Mine happened to be the stock EQ3 plug-in on an instrument MIDI track. Very weird!