Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2011, 12:13 PM

Default Pro Tools LE Functions

Does anyone know how to modify your keyboard settings to recognize pro tools functions?

Eg. You use the F1 - F4 keys for shuffle, spot, slip, and grid; but instead my F2 key will adjust the brightness to my computer and my F4 key will open Microsoft Office because it was a preset function to the comp before purchase.

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2011, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools LE Functions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvrphy View Post
Does anyone know how to modify your keyboard settings to recognize pro tools functions?

Eg. You use the F1 - F4 keys for shuffle, spot, slip, and grid; but instead my F2 key will adjust the brightness to my computer and my F4 key will open Microsoft Office because it was a preset function to the comp before purchase.

Thanks!
This is entirely based on your computer, rather than Pro Tools.

It's documented in the installation instructions that you should disable alternate keyboard commands. It really depends on what computer you have and what software it uses to control the alternate functions.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 03-02-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:

Thanks!
Was this a store-bought computer? If so, it likely has a bunch of "bloatware" installed on it. You will get much better performance(and stop the silly keyboard issues) if you ran a clean install without all the extra junk that companies like Dell, HP and Gateway like to stuff in there.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-02-2011, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Your profile lists
Quote:
System Details
HP Pavilion Dv7-4170us Laptop with Windows 7
Mbox 2 with Pro Tools LE 8.0.1
Did you mean 8.0.4? That is the first version of Pro Tools LE officially qualified with Windows 7.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:38 PM

Yes I meant 8.0.4, This was a computer ordered from an Air Miles Bonus, so I don't know if it is linked to the Hewlett Packard website or not.

Un sure if it has bloatware in it or not, But I have tried going through advanced system settings and into the control panel to disable alternate keyboard commands, but I cannot find anything of that nature, any other suggestions? thanks again!
Old 03-02-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Yes I meant 8.0.4, This was a computer ordered from an Air Miles Bonus, so I don't know if it is linked to the Hewlett Packard website or not.

Un sure if it has bloatware in it or not, But I have tried going through advanced system settings and into the control panel to disable alternate keyboard commands, but I cannot find anything of that nature, any other suggestions? thanks again!
All "box" PCs have bloatware.

If it has HP software on it then it has bloatware. Toolbars and the like. Unnecessary programs that really don't do anything that Windows can't already handle.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 03-02-2011, 02:23 PM

Okay, however like I said in my first post some of these key functions like F2 Control brightness and what not, so I would say thats more of an integrated function than Bloatware, if you know what I mean. I will look online on how to disable. unfortunately the instruction manual isn't much help ..... = \
Old 03-02-2011, 03:00 PM

Start by going to Control Panel>Uninstall a program and see what's on that list, especially anything that starts with "hp" or "Hewlett Packard". You can try a google search for anything that shows up there and that might help with dealing with it. Or, what I would do, save a drive image or clone the system drive to an external drive(windows 7 has this function, but Acronis True Image is better). Then you can feel free to uninstall stuff. If things get worse(like you uninstall something really important) you can restore from the save image, or clone the other way to get right back to what you have now.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave