Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 09-24-2020, 12:00 PM

Default Control App freezes (Eucon gets disconnected) with larger number of tracks in Cubase

Hi,

I'm using Cubase, have just upgraded to 20.6.1.3 and installed the AVID Control App (next to my 2 Artist Mix's.)

Eucon gets upset when having a larger number of tracks.

Up to 32 audio tracks works fine. When I try 48 or above, it stops working.

The 'Mixer' view works fine and I'm able to scroll through the tracks. As soon as I open the 'Tracks' view and try to select a track, the screen freezes and all devices seem to 'disconnect'. The only way to 'connect' is to switch off/on an Artist panel, or stop/start the app.
But then the same happens again.

So ... unfortunately impossible to use this version with Cubase.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:16 AM
Avid

Default Re: Control App freezes (Eucon gets disconnected) with larger number of tracks in Cub

We know about this issue but have been unable to reproduce in house. Can you give me some more info:
What other surfaces are connected or does this do it on its own. OS version, iPad type and version. Thanks Eddie
Old 09-30-2020, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Control App freezes (Eucon gets disconnected) with larger number of tracks in Cub

Hi Eddie,

Thanks for your reply! I really appriciate your response!

I'm using:

OSX 10.14.6
Cubase 10.5.20
EuControl 20.6.1.3
iPad Air 2 - IOS 14.0

I have created a short video to show you what happens. The video is located here:

https://youtu.be/xXwvEP7wsr4

I have also tried to use the Control App on an iPad Pro which is still on IOS 13.x. This showed the same result and also crashed Eucon or Cubase.

When I'm not using the App, the Mix panels are working fine. Since my Artist Control is unfortunately broken down, I'm not able to try the tracks selection from the there.

I'm happy to perform any additional (debugging steps) if that might help you to investigate the defect!

Thanks,
Patrick
Old 09-30-2020, 01:52 PM
Avid

Can you send me that session (no audio needed) ?
Old 09-30-2020, 03:07 PM

You mean the Cubase session?
Old 09-30-2020, 03:09 PM
Avid

Yes, I'm trying hard to reproduce but cant
Old 09-30-2020, 03:21 PM

Sure!

I've just created a new project with 40 audio tracks (empty) and checked it again. A few seconds after switching to the tracks screen, EuCon gets disconnected. (a few times Cubase also crashed)

Here's a link to the Cubase project. (I was not able to upload the file on the board)

https://we.tl/t-GZlWxsmIAO

Thx! I really appreciate your help!
Old 09-30-2020, 03:29 PM

I can also send you the Cubase log file that gets created after the Cubase crash. It contains various references to the EuCon Library.
I will try to send this to you in a PM
Old 09-30-2020, 03:44 PM
Avid

This is all great info. Can I ask one more thing. Just after it does this can you select collect all logs from the EuControl task Icon menu ?
Old 09-30-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvhooijdonk View Post
Hi Eddie,

Thanks for your reply! I really appriciate your response!

I'm using:

OSX 10.14.6
Cubase 10.5.20
EuControl 20.6.1.3
iPad Air 2 - IOS 14.0

I have created a short video to show you what happens. The video is located here:

https://youtu.be/xXwvEP7wsr4

I have also tried to use the Control App on an iPad Pro which is still on IOS 13.x. This showed the same result and also crashed Eucon or Cubase.

When I'm not using the App, the Mix panels are working fine. Since my Artist Control is unfortunately broken down, I'm not able to try the tracks selection from the there.

I'm happy to perform any additional (debugging steps) if that might help you to investigate the defect!

Thanks,
Patrick
I can answer that part of the equation for you. The MC Control works just fine with Cubase/Nuendo. My setup is MC Control/2 Mix/1 Transport. All of them work fine with Nuendo AS LONG AS YOU DON'T HAVE AVID CONTROL ON.

The "Magic Number" of tracks required to crash everything is 40 and it doesn't matter what kind or in what combination. I tried with MIDI, Audio, Group, FX and VCAs. You can use any or all of these types as long as you stay under 40. My smallest template starts at 92 tracks. So, just turning it on is an instant crash for me.

This will happen on an iPad or a Samsung Tablet and the most insidious thing about it is that one user in 15 does not have the problem! None of those "Lucky" individuals can tell you anything about their setups to explain why their setup works.

My only exception is that, for some very odd reason, it will work on my Samsung Galaxy 8+ phone!! It's maddening! I'd be on a four S1/Dock rigg right now IF only this thing would work. But as long as that bug is there, I can't let go of the Artist Series hardware. Bottom line: You are not alone! Go over to the Steinberg site and do a search. You will find dozens of threads there with users begging SB to DO SOMETHING to fix this issue.

Last edited by KeyplayerG; 09-30-2020 at 06:30 PM.