Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-25-2000, 11:13 PM

Default Live Performances and the Digi001

Hello All,

I'm considering taking my Digi001 out onto the stage to assist my live performances. Whilst this may sound like an accident waiting to happen, the thought of eight audio tracks + MIDI sequencing of my synths is quite appealing (I don't own an ADAT).

Is anyone doing this? How have you coped with pounding subwoofers interacting with your hard drives? Do you feel it's reliable enough for live stage use?

I look forward to hearing your experiences...

Phil
Old 05-26-2000, 09:18 AM

Default Re: Live Performances and the Digi001

I'm no expert in the field of computers and live performance, but I think that 100% reliability is the most important concern. Digi 001 is a great system, but it can crash. Maybe using it for creating a cd you can perform with live, rather than lugging all the hardware to a gig would be a solution.
Old 05-26-2000, 01:06 PM

We used to run an Atari sequencer and a bunch of synths for some of the keyboard stuff. It never failed live.

However nowdays I think a dedicated sampler like E5000 or so, with a built in multitrack sequencer would do most of the job. (Need HD though). You can import midi in it or record stuff as you tour around. Even change verses and sticks ...

However, most synthersizers nowdays have SW operating systems as well so they are not totally fail safe either.

Pleas let us know how things work out.

Cheers,
// Joakim W

------------------
>>We need more time so that everything doesn't happen at once<<

Asus P5K Premium v3, Q6600, 2x2GB Corsair

Tyan Thunder n3600B (S2927A2NRF)
2xAMD OPTERON 2214 2.2GHZ

Win XP Pro SP3
Old 05-26-2000, 08:15 PM

Phobia, are you refering to the "E5000" by E-mu? Does this have have a built-in multi-track MIDI track sequencer.... Is there a sampler that does?

I'm looking for a new dedicated sound module anyway, (possibly the E-mu "Proteus 2000"), so a "E5000" might be a nice 'two birds with one stone' assuming I can locate all the same sounds.

Somehow, I feel the OS + hard drive with a hardware sampler is more stable/portable....

Then I'll be definately looking for a "ibook" to run "Pro Tools" MIDI sequencing. (Just trying to keep this thread PT relevent, again!

What are the other guys/girls doing?

Phil
Old 05-26-2000, 10:07 PM

Have you looked into some other Mac sequencers? For example: Vision could play subsequences with any ASCI key stroke. In real time or thru a meter'd que. This way you could count off ..4 and hit your chorus key. Good for long(er) solos. Que function waits for the subsequence to end before your new 'enter' events begin. Maybe Motu offers this functionality since Opcode has been gobbled up. Powerbook is needed. Even the E-4 sequencer just don't cut the cake for live stuff in my opinion. LCD's are too small and accompanying drives & operating system too slow.

my 2 fleas worth...

Forget samplers (there's physical modeling)
Old 05-27-2000, 12:08 AM

Thanks Bentley, yeah it does sound a little risky - I guess a realistic (but pricey) solution would be to use a dedicated hardware sampler playing loops from the original Pro Tools recordings. I would still require the sequencer though, but at least the demand of audio reproduction would be taken away from the computer.

The CD idea would be perfect - but it's hard to pass off as a live performance (although I wouldn't be the first person to play from CD and call it live! ) and one wouldn't be able to sync a synth up to it. Oh well.

What are others doing for live electronic music performances?
Old 05-27-2000, 12:17 AM

Yeah, I'm kind of interested in this too. As for me, the drummer plays to a click, so I can just hook up with his laptop, but if we could find some other way to do it (some people REALLY don't like playing to a click, and as for other instuments, this can be quite a hassle)...
Old 05-28-2000, 07:46 AM

Shaggy, that's really interesting about the on-the-fly real-time arrangement and versatility that's possible with the Vision software - what a great concept! It would have the improvisational freedom of the MC-505 hardware sequencer I've been using live for years - but with obvious access to more sophisticated sequences. Great!

As my music production progresses from MIDI based into the ProTools audio environment, I'm finding less and less can be replayed from the original raw MIDI synth source when compared to the finished ProTools session after plenty of FX processing and tweaking has taken place. This particularly applies to instances where a synth is used for a particular sound or riff, recorded (and manipulated) within ProTools, then the same synth is used to perform another sound or riff. That is, a single synth is used to build the various sound layers, one by one. This certainly can't translate to the live stage via MIDI alone which brings me to the thought of taking my ProTools/Digi001/Mac system out for live performances.

I wonder what precautions major artists use for their gear. I've read that the band "U2" use two Macs for their sequencing (Main and Back-Up). Hey, I'll take three, please! Blueberry, Lime and Tangerine... my stage show will start looking like a fruit bowl - or a "U2" concert!

I expect that when I'm ready I'll go ahead and take my computer system out onto stage, unless I can devise a practical (and cost effective) alternative for playing my audio sessions. I'm thinking now that the reliability of the hard drive within a dedicated sampler would be on par with the computer's internal unit. What effect strong sub-frequencies have on any drive is still questionable.

This may prove beneficial: Does anyone have any experience with using portable Uninterrupted Power Supplies (UPS) to ensure a clean, spike-free, mains power is available. I've had to source power for my gear from a generator in the past.... hmmm, probably a little suspect? Are the filters that are built-in to some multi-outlet extension power boards effective?

I just hope the crowd appreciates the cleaner air thanks to my hard-working CPU fan, plus I'll have to try and refrain playing "Solitaire" (TM) whilst I'm waiting for my set so as to not stress out the precious 'velocity engine'.

Merry Music Making!

Phil
Old 05-28-2000, 11:47 AM

Rackmount kits for the G3s and 4s at
www.marathoncomputer.com
Old 05-28-2000, 02:13 PM

I'm hoping to use my 001 (when it arrives) on stage to use for a theatre performance I have written. I am using a six channel surround PA for this show and videoing it on digital Betacam to produce a DVD from later in Dolby 5.1. The musical arrangement consists of cello, midi and acoustic guitar, Rebirth, my analog synth collection, didgeridoo, percussion, vocals and the digi001 backing. I have had my PC on stage B4 running Cubase and the HDD's didn't play up. I will be using a DV machine hooked up to a projector for animation and this will have a Dolby surround encoded audio track to use as backup just in case.