Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 03-21-2012, 03:28 PM

Default Artist series spill master faders or VCAs?

With the big increase in functions that PT 10 brought us with respect to EuCon, can anyone see a way to spill all the master faders in a row, just like we've been doing in the Command|8 for years? I cannot.

There is a way to "show all masters", but this is the equivalent of hiding all the other tracks in the edit and mix windows—not at all the same thing.

I want to press a button and only see all the master faders in my session spilled across my Artist Mix and Control. Nothing should change on the screen. Very simple.

I have got used to assigning masters to faders and using the Attentioned Track to write automation and it works well, but there are aspects of this that leave something to be desired, especially since Attentioned Tracks cannot recognize more than one selected track. Sometimes I just want to write automation on two adjacent tracks simultaneously.

Can it be done?
Old 03-28-2012, 04:01 AM

Default Re: Artist series spill master faders or VCAs?

I've never used PT or command8, and I don't know what "spill" means in this context.

However, I just wanted to check you're aware of the Artist series Layout function, which lets you assign any physical fader to any channel or software fader you like. Additionally multiple layouts can be defined, and are saved with the current song. Switching between layouts is quick and easy, particularly with the function keys on the Artist Transport.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:29 AM

layouts are great once you have take the time to create them. imo, that step really needs an over haul. custom fader groups are most needed on the fly having to break mental focus in the mix to create the group you want is painful. you're also are unable to scroll through a layout and are limited to how many faders you physically have.

i had tried making layouts as part of the edit process, and to a degree that works well.. but it's just impossible to predict everything you'll need when you're in the trenches with a client.

Now i typically have 3 layouts that i build into my templates. ALL, NONE and SELECTED. for everything else, i create memory locations that include track show/hide and many other items.

creating a layout will often take longer than the actual task youll use it for, i think this should be tightened up
Old 03-28-2012, 01:07 PM

I like the layout idea but it's not as good as the custom fader groups. What I would like is to still have the track show up on the fader even if it's a hidden track in the session. I have memory locations which hide certain tracks and screws up the layouts if they have VCAs or other tracks hidden.

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 03-29-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-euphonix View Post
I've never used PT or command8, and I don't know what "spill" means in this context.

However, I just wanted to check you're aware of the Artist series Layout function, which lets you assign any physical fader to any channel or software fader you like. Additionally multiple layouts can be defined, and are saved with the current song. Switching between layouts is quick and easy, particularly with the function keys on the Artist Transport.
Chris, now that you work for Avid, I think you would do well to familiarize yourself.

Spill refers to the act of pressing a button and all of your faders of a certain type (In my case, masters and VCAs) automatically and dynamically populate the available faders on your control surfaces. that's all. The Command 8 did this with aplomb. I had spoken to Luke Smith when he worked there about making this happen and I believe it never quite did, though there are some other sort of similar features involving showing of groups. Not the same thing. If I create a new master fader, I don't want to go into Eucontrol to assign it. That's why the word "dynamically" is so important here.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Young View Post
I like the layout idea but it's not as good as the custom fader groups. What I would like is to still have the track show up on the fader even if it's a hidden track in the session. I have memory locations which hide certain tracks and screws up the layouts if they have VCAs or other tracks hidden.
Good point. This is not a request to "show/hide" groups or types of tracks!! NOTHING must change on screen.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picture Start View Post
Chris, now that you work for Avid
Haha!

Quote:
Spill refers to the act of pressing a button and all of your faders of a certain type (In my case, masters and VCAs) automatically and dynamically populate the available faders on your control surfaces. that's all.
Right.

As you say, the current Artist stuff doesn't do this.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:04 PM

This is an *extremely* powerful and important feature (that even the 002/3 series have) for mixers doing a lot of the heavy lifting on vca's and/or having complex routings with multiple masters (like most post guys).

All Digi designed controllers feature this (for good reasons). This also is one of the main reasons I wouldn't presently look at Artist controllers to replace my aging ProControl.

Darryl Ramm
Old 01-25-2014, 11:17 AM

this feature together with Command8 F5 button (plugin focus) are the most missing from the old Digidesign controllers

please bring it back to Eucon
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).
Old 01-25-2014, 12:59 PM

Thank you for agreeing.