Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2001, 07:37 AM

Default Grouping tracks for overall volume control

Hi all,
I would like to understand an easy way to group a bunch of tracks together, such as a drum kit, so that if I want to push the overall level up or down, I can do it with a single fader, and still have flexibility on an individual drum for volume, plug-ins, etc.

Is the right way to do this to use an auxillary track as an intermediate fader? If so, what's the process of setting up the bus that the individual drum tracks take to get to the aux fader, and then how do I set the aux fader to go to my master fader?

Is there a better way to do this?

This is a whole part of Pro Tools I haven't needed to play with yet, but it's definately getting more important.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 11-05-2001, 07:58 AM

Default Re: Grouping tracks for overall volume control

Create a stereo aux with it's input set to bus 14-15 (or any stereo bus that's not in use elsewhere). Set the aux's output to Analog 1 - S/PDIF Stereo. Set each of the individual drum tracks' output to bus 14-15.

With that setup you'll be able to put individual effects on each drum track and set relative volume and panning. You'll control the overall drum mix volume with the aux fader. You'll also be able to put effects across the etire drum mix on the aux channel if you want to effect the whole kit.

You should put the aux channel into both Mute Safe and Solo Safe mode (ctrl-click the mute and solo buttons).

Mike
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 11-05-2001, 08:02 AM

Mike,
Thanks for the pointers. Great info! You're always quite helpful.

Wish I was at home and could try it out! That will have to wait for this evening.

Regards,
Mark
Old 11-05-2001, 01:24 PM

The easiest way is to use the "groups" feature in the mix window. Simply hi-lite the tracks you want to group together by clicking on the track label while holding the shift key. Then create a new group in the groups area (bottom left, double blue arrows)and you'll be able to manage your groups very easily.
WD EIDE 10GB
WD EIDE 250GB
XP Pro SP1
ProTools LE 6.4
Old 11-05-2001, 05:36 PM

I use the 'Group' feature - it saves using one of those valuable tracks. The trick is remeber to un-group when you want to change a relative level with-in a group.
Old 11-05-2001, 05:41 PM

Mike,
Thanks. Your instructions worked as advertised.

Regards,
Mark
Old 11-05-2001, 07:44 PM

Also, I'm not sure of the key I believe it's Control, if you hold it down while "mousing" your changes to individual tracks it will allow you to make changes without needing to disable the group.
Old 11-05-2001, 08:50 PM

I have question if you guys don't mind.....

I understand Quikdraw's concept of using Aux. tracks for groups. And it sounds great (Thanks, Mike, for being so specific. I did not understand before).

Homerg,

Let me ask you, when you say "Simply hi-lite the tracks you want to group together by clicking on the track label while holding the shift key. Then create a new group in the groups area (bottom left, double blue arrows)and you'll be able to manage your groups very easily.", how do you deal with overall volume and such? I have never used the 'Groups' section.

Thanks all, Roy
Old 11-05-2001, 09:48 PM

I use the groups in every mix...This is the easiest way to control a whole set of instruments.
First Highlite you drum kit's track labels. Then hit control G.
Then name your group and specify if you want the group to work in the mix window, edit window or both.(choosing edit and mix can save plenty of time when cutting and pasting a whole chorus of BGVs)
Take note of what letter is assigned to the group a-z. because simply pressing that letter in the mix window will enable/disable the group.
When the groups are enabled just move any fader and the whole group moves relative to that one fader movement. Same with solo and mute.
I recommend A-drum kit, B-all instruments, C-back ground vox. This way when your mixing you can countinually listen to different aspects of the song with a single push of a button(solo).
Old 11-05-2001, 09:51 PM

P.s. E jim aux tracks are free.