Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2002, 03:01 PM

Default studio setup -- multiple midi patch/tone sources -- channelization

I am setting up my 001 studio [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and I have lots of sound modules, tone banks or whatever you want to call them: sources of midi patches. I've got the Oasys, a couple synths, a rack-mounted Proteus, among others. Two questions arise:

My goal is to be able to draw from any tone bank or synth on any channel at any time, assigning the sound to that channel, mixing and matching at will.

I remember that you can somehow tell ProTools which sound module to use and then put in your program changes, but how do you do it?

Second, how should I hook up my sound modules (I will use only one midi controller, a keyboard)? "Daisy chain" them?

Thanks in advance! [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 01-23-2002, 03:15 PM

Default Re: studio setup -- multiple midi patch/tone sources -- channelization

I've been having some trouble with this kind of thing as well.

First, let me tell you about my setup.

Of course, there's the Digi001; when I first started up, all I had was it, an Alesis D4 drum module, and some drum triggers. I followed the instructions in the little booklet, etc. and the studio setup worked just fine. MIDI connections: 001 Out -> D4 In; D4 Out/Thru -> 001 In. In the D4, MIDI Thru is OFF otherwise godawful feedback happens any time I try to record drums.

Now I want to add modules & a controller to the loop. My controller is a Roland A-30, and my two modules are E-Mu Vintage Keys and an older E-Mu Proteus/1. Messing around with various loops, I can't get Opcode (the Studio Setup program) to recognize anything - whether MIDI Thru is ON or OFF in the D4.

I can get both modules to detect the controller by using the following loop: Controller OUT -> Vintage Keys IN; Vintage Keys OUT -> Controller IN; Vintage Keys THRU -> Proteus/1 IN. Now, with simply moving two cables in my patch bay, I can hear either the VK or Proteus in ProTools (did I mention PT? 5.1.1 is what I'm using).

It doesn't seem to matter what MIDI channels I use, I'm in an either/or (but never both) situation. I'm forced to leave the D4 MIDI'd through the 001 and to record my keyboard parts as straight audio tracks.

Does this sound like what you're trying to do? If you have any success, please let me know what you do!

Thanks...

--chiba
Old 01-23-2002, 03:26 PM

this is kinda similar to my issue. I also would like to know how to select a specific tone bank from within pro tools.

Chiba, watch this thread for answers, these guys are great!
Old 01-23-2002, 04:32 PM

If you have many instruments/controllers, my opinion is your easiest setup will be to get a multi-port MIDI interface. E-Magic makes a couple great USB-MIDI boxes. I have the 4-in, 2-out variety, but I think they also make 8x8. (I could never get the MidiMan brand to work with PTLE.) Then you can tell your OMS setup which instrument is on each dedicated port. This way you can choose various MIDI input ports on the mix window, and their names will be right there.

The harder part is assigning patches for each instrument. I've only done this once, and it worked great -- but I don't remember all the ins and outs. You can choose patches even without the names loaded if you know the patch numbers. On the mix window, click the little "p" box on the MIDI channel strip. This will bring up a window allowing you to choose the patch number.

Also you can embed program changes in the edit window, but best to get the other part working first.

Kurt
Old 01-23-2002, 04:44 PM

That's quite helpful, Kurt. Assuming we follow your advice, where does it show various MIDI input ports on the mix window?

Thanks, man.
Old 01-24-2002, 08:57 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Joseph Anderson:
where does it show various MIDI input ports on the mix window?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Just click on the input button. On an audio track it lets you choose which input to connect to. On a MIDI track it gives you options for each of your MIDI interfaces.

Also, to insert a program change in the middle of a track, go to the Edit screen. Then look on the left side of the MIDI track you want to control. The bottom button should allow you to select what is displayed for that track. Clicking on the button allows you to choose the size of the display, but clicking the little triangle next to the button gives you the choice of what is displayed in the window. The two I use most are Volume and Program Change. (I think that's the wording anyway.) At that point I believe you click on the display where you want to insert the program change and it will give you a screen allowing the insertion.

That is a bit of a vague recollection of how to do it. It should certainly get you started though.

Good luck!

Kurt
Old 01-24-2002, 11:33 PM

As far as different "banks" on the one instrument go, you select these in the little "bank" edit box on the top of the patch edit window.

If i change these for my SC88-Pro, it switches between the different pianos, bases etc.

You can also make up your own patch name files for OMS, but i have no idea how.
Old 01-25-2002, 04:23 AM

Hi Joseph and Chiba,

I feel your frustration!

While I won't have time to answer you now for several days, I will get back to you and guide you step-by-step until it's working...

In the meantime, please list ALL the synths/modules in your studio, and what MIDI ports they contain (eg. IN, OUT, THRU, or maybe a shared or switchable OUT/THRU port as is sometimes the case).

If you can hang on 'til the end of the week, I'll be able to explain how it all should work.

Of course, in the meantime, if anyone wants to jump right in and save me from doing it, feel free.

Phil