Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2009, 05:32 AM

Default Re: HELP! - Working against picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealaudio View Post
Tested this out in PT LE 8, the only thing that gets preserved is the grid values and nudge values. The sub counter doesn't seem to stay in TC when opened up in PTLE. Perhaps someone has gotten further than this? If so I wouldn't mind getting a copy of that session, but to my knowledge the sub counter is not preserved. My workaround includes putting "burned in" timecode on the video and working with TcounterX. A subcounter would be sweet.
what you're describing is actually a bug never fixed from PT 6 as i remember. the thing with TC counter and nudging with frames has been removed from LE version to motivate you to buy the DV toolkit which offers sush "functionality". if you want to use frames in PT you should buy DV toolkit (2) or CPTK. it's only 1300$ for this amazing function along with few others.. :)
Old 05-31-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leszekf View Post
what you're describing is actually a bug never fixed from PT 6 as i remember. the thing with TC counter and nudging with frames has been removed from LE version to motivate you to buy the DV toolkit which offers sush "functionality". if you want to use frames in PT you should buy DV toolkit (2) or CPTK. it's only 1300$ for this amazing function along with few others.. :)
Only 1300$. Cute Just to clarify. The nudging frames thing has not been removed in the LE 8 version. As I stated in my post, it works. The only thing that has been removed is the subcounter timecode functionality when opening the session in PTLE8. However there are a few workarounds for that.

QT Sync is a free program that will "burn in" timecode to your video. This will allow you to see where you are at within PTLE. Another workaround is using a program called TcounterX. You configure protools to sent time code out to an external device and this program catches it and displays timecode readout of your session externally. Very neat.

That being said, having used these workarounds for a little now, I am most probably going to dish out the 2k for the full production toolkit this week. I still find it insane, and borderline scandalous that such functionality is only available at this cost. Ive read countless arguments on this subject and still believe Digi should have included these globally standard features in PTLE. Im sorry but yes PTLE is cheaper, money is money and your still dishing out over 1,200 bucks to get PTLE with decent hardware. Some of those features should be included as they are in almost every other professional DAW. However as I stated I am buying the CPTK. I prefer to avoid cutting corners. But to all you LE users thinking you cant do video without these toolkits, IMHO that is not so true, however involves time consuming workarounds!

*My opinion is obviously subject to change once I actually get the toolkit, so we will see.
p.s. for the difference in price the CPTK seems like a much better deal than the DVtoolkit!

-MTLA
2009 MacPro w/Two 2.26 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Nehalem" processors - 6 GB - Mbox2 PRO - Pro Tools 8 w/Complete Production Toolkit - 3 x KRK RPG 6s, 2 x KRK RPG 5s, 1 x KRK 10S / T-racks 3 / Izotope RX / Wave Arts / PSP / Massey / Joemeeks / ARC system/ Snapper / Microphones galore
Old 06-01-2009, 02:08 AM

By the way, there is a guy on ebay that sells a somewhat crippled dv toolkit option.
Basically it's only the TC feature for $ 275

http://cgi.ebay.com/Digidesign-Pro-Tools-DV-Toolkit-2-iLok-License-LE-iLok_W0QQitemZ370209342821QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_So ftware?hash=item5632324565&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50
Old 06-01-2009, 02:19 AM

Quote:
I still find it insane, and borderline scandalous that such functionality is only available at this cost. Ive read countless arguments on this subject and still believe Digi should have included these globally standard features in PTLE. Im sorry but yes PTLE is cheaper, money is money and your still dishing out over 1,200 bucks to get PTLE with decent hardware. Some of those features should be included as they are in almost every other professional DAW.
PTLE is effectively free with a $200 Mbox micro. How many other professional DAWs give you TC and OMF for $200? The cheapest way I can think of is Logic or Soundtrack Pro 2. Have you ever tried OMF import on Logic or STP? Trust me, it blows. LE and DVTk2 is a STEAL for what it does. The CPTk even more so.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiniteloop View Post
PTLE is effectively free with a $200 Mbox micro. How many other professional DAWs give you TC and OMF for $200? The cheapest way I can think of is Logic or Soundtrack Pro 2. Have you ever tried OMF import on Logic or STP? Trust me, it blows. LE and DVTk2 is a STEAL for what it does. The CPTk even more so.
Yes I have, I use STP2 regularly as well and have not had any trouble opening OMFs on long features...
2009 MacPro w/Two 2.26 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Nehalem" processors - 6 GB - Mbox2 PRO - Pro Tools 8 w/Complete Production Toolkit - 3 x KRK RPG 6s, 2 x KRK RPG 5s, 1 x KRK 10S / T-racks 3 / Izotope RX / Wave Arts / PSP / Massey / Joemeeks / ARC system/ Snapper / Microphones galore
Old 06-01-2009, 01:26 PM

funny, whenever I open an OMF on STP2 from an avid it bombs every time, and Logic takes 5 hours. Why do you use PT if STP does it for you?
Old 06-01-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Tested this out in PT LE 8, the only thing that gets preserved is the grid values and nudge values. The sub counter doesn't seem to stay in TC when opened up in PTLE. Perhaps someone has gotten further than this? If so I wouldn't mind getting a copy of that session, but to my knowledge the sub counter is not preserved. My workaround includes putting "burned in" timecode on the video and working with TcounterX. A subcounter would be sweet.

Works fine up to PT 7.3.1

I haven't tried it beyond that, so maybe it got ditched in PT8 (I don't have PT8 so can't double check).

You can (or could, maybe another PT8 omission) open the time-stretch plugin which displays smpte.

hope that helps.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
funny, whenever I open an OMF on STP2 from an avid it bombs every time, and Logic takes 5 hours. Why do you use PT if STP does it for you?
In my current workflow I do most of my editing in STP2 and mix my stems in PTLE, I also mix music in PT. As I stated I went for the complete production toolkit. Ordered it today. STP2 is unstable, it crashes and forces me to previous saves too often, I will be moving all of my work into PT when my CPTK arrives.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:43 PM

That's the thing isn't it? It's all very well having the features for $pennies, but if they don't actually work, it's pretty worthless. PT LE & CPTk is priced to match Nuendo, because they're the cheapest things that actually work.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
That's the thing isn't it? It's all very well having the features for $pennies, but if they don't actually work, it's pretty worthless. PT LE & CPTk is priced to match Nuendo, because they're the cheapest things that actually work.
Yes pretty much, however the workarounds DO work, they are just time consuming and less professional. Thus the need for the kits.