Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-06-2009, 06:02 PM

Default Installation Failed The installer can't install some files in "/".

The full message is
Installation Failed! The installer can't install some files in "/". Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

I first received this message when trying to upgrade Pro Tools from 8.0 to 8.0.1 a prerelease for snow leopard. I tried numerous things such as repairing permissions, as well as some pro tools specific things and to no avail. Still got the same error message.

So then I tried completely uninstalling and deleting all things pro tools from my computer. After a clean uninstall and removing all traces of pro tools I proceeded to try and re-install pro tools from my pro tools 8 disk. About a minute into the process I get the EXACT same error message.

I tried creating a brand new user and installing PT there but also same error message. I'm not sure if it means anything but in the installer it will not allow me to change the location. I'm not sure if "/" is a sub folder of applications or if for some reason its trying to install somewhere strange but when I click the button to change location the installer just brings me back to the page that tells me to turn off Dashboard and etc.

I know this issue has been going on since even before snow leopard. I really need to get pro tools installed and running again or at least be able to get the program installed. I've isolated pro tools out of the mix because its been several different installers and even an installer from a dvd. I know this is a Snow Leopard or plain OS based problem. I have repaired permissions, created a brand new user, wiped clean and started over. I don't know anything else to do. PLEASE HELP???!!!

Oh ya and also my Mbox 2 no longer works on the new computer. (Also on any user) It never boots up or lights up and when I log in to my user I get this error message, "Insecure Startup Item Disabled "Library/StartupItems/Digidesign MBox 2" has not been started because it does not have proper security settings."

What gives? At school they have Pro Tools set up, with MBox 2, on brand new iMacs running snow Leopard and they are working with very few bugs!
Old 01-31-2010, 11:33 AM

Default Re: nstallation Failed The installer can't install some files in "/".

hi Dean,
I'm having exactly the same problem on 2 different macs: a macbook pro running OS10.6.2, and a macpro running 10.5.8

the behavior is exactly as you described, including not being able to change the install location.

incidentally, I also use a macpro that is identical to the one above, except it's running 10.6.2. I'm baffled.

i used the same install DVD (LE 8.0) on all three computers, but can only get a successful install on one of them. This install DVD was purchased less than a month ago.

I've tried updating to LE 8.0.3, but I can't get that to happen until the 8.0 install completes.

Is there a place to get a full 8.0.3 install, instead of just the update? i've looked to no avail.

have you found any solutions to this problem?
Old 02-01-2010, 10:16 AM

I'm having the same problem, have you guys found a solution yet?
Old 02-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Avid

Please let us know if http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ssage/en341835 doesn't help.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:02 AM

Default Re: Installation Failed The installer can't install some files in "/".

Problem Solved....!

So I was getting the same error messages... not fun.

Then I realized that I have 2 accounts on my mac. The main Admin account and then my personal account.

I was able to install PT mbox2 Factory when I was logged into the admin account.

Then I discovered something else...

Under System Preferences/Accounts/My account. you should see a little box that you can tick that say "Allow user to administer this computer" This box should be ticked.

If you tick this box, you should be able to install PT in you personal account.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:47 PM

i'm having this issue trying to install celemoneys melodyne. i'm using 10.5.5. wanted snow leopard but i didnt realize you need an intel processor.

i found some posts on other forums saying that it could be a hard drive issue and a new hdd and fresh install fixed it, but i dont have the money at the moment
Old 03-10-2011, 12:41 AM

Thanks a LOT for your solution Phonographic, I had the same issue and it worked perfectly for me.

I just had to tick the box in "Allow user to administer this computer" in System Preferences/Accounts/My account, restart, and reinstall.