Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2008, 04:42 AM

Default Timecode reader

Hello!
I have one session with an audio track with the timecode recorded (one standard audio file bwav). It will be very useful for me to have a plug-in that can display the timecode, within the session... Okay, I can send the audio track to a separate output and I can read the timecode (the audio) with and external machine, but it will be very useful to do this work into the session...
Anyone can help me?
Thank you!
Enrico

--------------
G5 Dual 2.3 / 4.5 Gb ram / 10.4.9 / PT 7.4cs6 / HD2 Accel / Apogee AD16x / Digi Sync
Old 07-26-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torty View Post
Hello!
I have one session with an audio track with the timecode recorded (one standard audio file bwav). It will be very useful for me to have a plug-in that can display the timecode, within the session... Okay, I can send the audio track to a separate output and I can read the timecode (the audio) with and external machine, but it will be very useful to do this work into the session...
Anyone can help me?
Thank you!
Enrico

--------------
G5 Dual 2.3 / 4.5 Gb ram / 10.4.9 / PT 7.4cs6 / HD2 Accel / Apogee AD16x / Digi Sync
When using Time Code it is very unusual to actually record the time code as audio on a track. It's much more common to use the time code functionality in the Digi Sync. Feeding external time code to the Digi Sync to control the transport within Pro Tools. If you need to reference the time code from the audio track (as you said) I would suggest feeding the time code track to a Pro Tools output, then feed that to the input of the Digi Sync. At the very least the Digi Sync should show you the time code from your track. You could then try to "chase" that code by putting Pro Tools "On-Line". Ypou may or may not acheive sync and lock. It will depend on the sample rate, frame rate and clock rate of the time code on the track and your system. However, you can place your region on your time line in such a way as to correspond to the time code audio track. Play your session and watch the time code display on the Digi Sync. Try to notice the first frame of time code as the region plays... use spot mode and place the region at that time code number. You may have to tri back an forth to get it right and it may not stay right depending on as I said earlier, your sample, frame, and clock rates.

Good luck,
Jala