Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2002, 09:06 AM

Default Please go back a step on this...

OK. I can't always see the person I'm overdubbing. In previous versions of PT, when listening back to a take, I could tell if the overdubbee was trying to talk to me because her record-enabled track metered the input, regardless of the I/O monitoring status. PT 5.3 now only meters what was recorded, so I have to stop for every line and say "Was that OK?....How about that one?"

A small change, but it makes a big difference to me, and the work-arounds (setting up a parallel aux input, etc.) are rather clumsy.

What say ye, good digi folk?

PS Oh yeah, I still want to be able to record in reverse. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2002, 07:42 PM

Default Re: Please go back a step on this...

Have a look carefully in preferences I think the old way can be switched back on....

But I could be wrong....

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
www.gearslutz.com
Old 08-22-2002, 08:38 AM

Pre-fader/post fader don't make a difference, by golly.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:51 AM

Input Only Monitor?
Old 08-23-2002, 12:20 AM

It may not be what you are looking for but here’s a great tip I found on this forum long ago:

I hung my oldest, cheapest mic up in the studio ceiling, routing it back to a free channel on my mixer.
Inserted a hardware compressor (also old) on the channel. Highest ratio (limiter), and lowest threshold.
Then I made a track in PT with a sinus tone, 10 minutes long or more.
I fed the tone into the sidechain input on the compressor.

The result is that the "ceiling mic" is automatically muted when the session is playing or recording.

This is great to have when you are recording f.ex drums or a guitar player with loud volume and you want to hear what they say between takes. And as soon as you start to record, you hear only the recording tracks.

So when playing back the takes to the artist you could just mute the sinus tone track and communicate with him or her.

I cant remember who gave me this great tip, but thanx, whoever you are.
Old 08-23-2002, 01:38 AM

The whole reason for the change is because tape machines have always monitored playback level when in repro, playback level when record ready(enabled) but not in record, and input level when actually recording. Many people complained that this was how they wanted PT to work also. The pre 5.3 way was a "problem" for many engineers, especially old school types. However it would be nice to be able to monitor levels both ways.

However, here is a cool work around that I used to use even before PT when we would patch direct into the Tape machine to bypass the console. In PT create an aux track and set it to the same input as the singer. when you are listening back you can see the level or turn on the mic so you can hear them say ".....YO......that sux!"

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2002, 04:37 PM

exactly.. auto input vs input only.