Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 10-07-2010, 03:49 PM

Default HD Native - 3 simple questions

Hey all, I've been scanning through message boards for an hour and my head is starting to spin. I can't seem to get simple, concrete facts about some aspects of the HD Native system, so I'm gonna ask here in hopes that someone from Digi/Avid or that has hands on experience with the Native card can shed some light on this. I'm a long time professional PT user and am excited about this system but want to know:

1) ADC - I see tons of confusing information and lots of argument on this subject. Simply put, what are it's limits, both for plugin delay compensation and i/o?

2) Interface - I know what the supported interfaces are, but theoretically, would an Apogee Rosetta 800 with the X-HD card installed interface properly with the Native card? And is latency/ADC affected by which interface is connected?

3) Footswitch - smaller issue, any way of somehow using a footswitch for punch in/out on this system the way 002/003 users can?

Any info would be appreciated thanks. And no arguing about the price or which system is better please; there's plenty of other threads for that. :)
Old 10-07-2010, 04:01 PM

Default Re: HD Native - 3 simple questions

check gearslutz but there is a spec sheet somewhere there.

1) yes
2) yes
3) dunno
Old 10-07-2010, 04:02 PM

also,

u can use this card as an interface for any DAW.

so you can use this card with logic pro or cubase PC/MAC
Old 10-07-2010, 04:08 PM

OK thanks...I don't think "yes" is an answer to my first question. I know it has ADC, I want to know what that means, as in what it can and can't do. Judging what from the info I've read it's not as cut and dry as "turn ADC on and your set"; there's differences depending on low-latency monitoring mode etc. I just want a concise description of what that entails. I'm using PT so Logic etc don't apply to me :)
Old 10-07-2010, 04:36 PM

3) ICON or maybe one of the single fader HUI devices (Fader Port and I don't remember the other right now)

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 10-07-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilbers View Post
check gearslutz but there is a spec sheet somewhere there.

1) yes
2) yes
3) dunno
There's a spec sheet on the Avid site: http://www.avid.com/US/products/Pro-...tive/resources

All the answers to your questions are in the guide.

As for a footswitch... just about any MIDI controller, or control surface has a footswitch port.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-07-2010, 06:14 PM

Tony Carridi in another thread has stated that he sees no reason the 3rd party interfaces that normally work with HD wouldn't work with this. They haven't specifically put anything in there to prevent it.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:04 AM

Thanks for the replies y'all! I got it sussed - looks like plugin/insert ADC works just as in HD, but for super low latency recording a la TDM systems you gotta engage Low Latency monitoring just like LE (not a big deal since I never record through plugins). I'm sure the card will interface with the Rosetta, but I may need another interface anyway for more I/O. And for some reason I never checked my control surface for a footswitch jack, which it indeed has. Always plugged right into the 002 rack! Anyway seems like an ideal upgrade, but with a 3K + card and 2-3K interface it ain't cheap! But it's a nice bridge to HD as I see it. peaze!