Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-14-2012, 09:56 PM

Default Microphones for nylon string guitar?

I got some great offers in the mail. I am aware these are not Neumann, but which would be worthwile buying for nylon stringed guitar recordings?

-
AKG Perception 120-Shure PG81-LC
-MXL 990 Ribbon
-Shure PG42
-Shure SM137
-MXL USB.007 Large Gold Diaphragm Stereo Condenser Microphone (I thought a stereo mic might be a good idea, but these are supposedly odd for connecting/powering?)
-Rode Microphones M3 Multi-Powered Small Diaphragm Condenser Microphone

Any input is appreciated
Old 08-15-2012, 08:52 AM

Default Re: Microphones for nylon string guitar?

I would probably not pick any of those. A Miktek C5(darn close to a Neumann KM84 at half the price) is one choice. Maybe a Shure SM81 or AKG 451? If your on a "Ramen noodle" budget, then the MXL 603 is worth a look. 2 questions; what do you have for mics right now, and how much can you afford to spend(okay, 3 questions...what do you typically record for music/instrumentation)?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-15-2012, 09:53 AM

Hi, I mostly record bowed strings. Don't have much experience with nylon stringed guitar. I already have a pair of Shure SM81, but there seems to be malfunction, and are out of warrantyAnyways, I got some great offers for these models, so thought it should be worth a try...thx!
Old 08-15-2012, 09:55 AM

BTW, how does AKG budget series (Perception) compare to their flagship stuff?
Old 08-15-2012, 03:00 PM

I've got a pair of SE1A's that sound amazing in mono or stereo through a Grace M101 or P-Solo pre amp recording my Brazilian Gianinni.

Saying that, sounds great with AT4033 and AT4050 too!

Have recorded the same guitar with an AKG C1000 (with a cardioid capsule) too in the past and was happy with that too! You don't need to capture the same top end frequencies as recording a steel strung instrument. My Giannini is much more piano sounding in some respects.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJ View Post
I've got a pair of SE1A's that sound amazing in mono or stereo through a Grace M101 or P-Solo pre amp recording my Brazilian Gianinni.

Saying that, sounds great with AT4033 and AT4050 too!

Have recorded the same guitar with an AKG C1000 (with a cardioid capsule) too in the past and was happy with that too! You don't need to capture the same top end frequencies as recording a steel strung instrument. My Giannini is much more piano sounding in some respects.
Hey Jazzy, thanks! Always great to hear from an expertHave you maybe ever tried stereo mics like
MXL V67Q Stereo Condenser Microphone. Just wondering, as these seem to work with different connectors than my mBox's 3-pin, but - isn't it easier to record a stereo from a solo instrument with a single mic.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:37 PM

I'm guessing by the mics you have listed that budget is a key factor here as these seem like very low end mics.

IMHO if you are at the lowest of the market then go for Rode, bare in mind with a nylon guitar your going to need a mic with a half decent sensitivity (output) and semi respectable noise spec. The Rode NT1-a may not be the best mic in the world but it does a good job on most things, it also has one of the lowest self noise specs going.

Mics are one of the few things where "you get what you pay" for really applies. As stated, at the lower end of the mic market it's Rode every time, even the NT5's are good mics, they just lack a little low end but nothing a bit of EQ cant fix.

If you do ever decide to take the plunge then the Beyer Dynamic MC930's are killer mics and for pencils they have an unusually good low end response.

Just my two cents!
Old 08-17-2012, 10:07 PM

Thanks Dougfather! You mentioned self-noise - that appeared to be problem with my Shures, but not always. What other low end mics are good in that respect?
Old 08-17-2012, 10:37 PM

BTW I have an old SM57 lying around. If I buy a better quality condenser, would it be possible to use both with an mBox?
Old 08-18-2012, 12:24 AM

Even an AKG C1000 will offer a fuller recording than an SM57 for a Nylon. If your budget is low why not get a C1000? It's the equivalent in 'industry standard' mics like an SM57 but in the condenser department. Easy to pick up second hand and comes with polarity caps. You'll probably have to crank up the gain on your mbox input in order to record using an SM57 which will bring a lot of hiss. If you were recording a snare drum or guitar amp it wouldn't be so bad, but to record an acoustic instrument with an sm57 will require a fair bit of gain. You can use both if you want. But I suggest finding a second hand AKG C1000 and going mono for now or double track and pan hard left and right works for Nylon too.. It will sound good on the classical and will be a good starting mic for you. Otherwise you'll need a bigger budget.