Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2017, 02:35 PM

Default AVID: One change that would help us like you a lot more.

Dear AVID,

I have been a Pro Tools user for over 10 years since the Digidesign (branded) days. I really want to love you as a company, but the past 5-10 years have been rough. I really want to see things turn around for AVID, but it will be a long time before bridges have been rebuilt with some of your past, faithful customers.

The one HUGE thing that still really shows the lack of respect and trust from AVID is your reinstatement plan. Now don't get me wrong, I have 2 AVID licenses that are both current with the update plan. So this isn't a rant about me having to pay the reinstatement price.

Why are reinstatement plans so hurtful? Because it sends a message to your users that you'd better pay up every year or we are going to penalize you. Seriously?!? Is this really the relationship you want with your customers? I think this is why you constantly see so much bad blood floating around about AVID.

I'd bet that you would make tons more money if you got rid of the reinstatement plan? Why? Because it would make it so much easier for your customers to pay to get back on board with you. It would send the message out to your customers that you are going to make Pro Tools so amazing, that people won't want to go without an upgrade plan because they will miss out on some amazing upgrades. It shows that you are invested in listening to your customer base because if you don't, we both lose (not just the customer).

This may be hard to believe... But there was a day when I enjoyed paying money towards Pro Tools upgrades. I'm serious! When it felt like Digidesign was listening and creating great upgrades, I wanted to pay Digidesign out of appreciation. I wanted Digidesign to win! I wanted them to be successful because I felt like we were in a win-win relationship. Since the branding changed to AVID (2008ish), I haven't ever felt that relationship. It has felt like Avid is struggling to win, so they are going to force it out of their customers type relationship.

If you want to make a big change in AVID and possibly even give us a chance to love you again... This would be a HUGE start. Who knows...you might actually realize that people don't really want to hate you, they just want to be treated fairly and with a little respect.

Kindness and great relationships with your customers are really the key to great success. The reinstatement plan is a complete enemy to this relationship.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio

Last edited by Dizzi45Z; 12-29-2017 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Corrections made after realizing AVID has owned Pro Tools since 1995 but didn't change branding until much later.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:35 PM

Default Re: AVID: One change that would help us like you a lot more.

I agree with you to a large extent... my plan is also up to date yet the updates coming from Avid my system no longer supports. I am not going to replace my Mac Pro yet as it still does the job for me and my clients ... obviously I am not therefore, going to renew my plan next year or any other year until I change my computer. It’s seems rather churlish to have to pay a technical fine for that ... no hard feelings or rants just an observation
Mac Pro 2x2.8 ghz Intel Zeon, 20 gig ram, Yosemite 10.10.5, Pro Tools 10,11,12.7.1, Logic Pro X 10.2, UA Apollo 16 quad, UA Octo Pcies, Dangerous Music 2 Bus, Antelope Audio Satori, Lynx Studio Hilo, Neve 542, Neve 511, API 505 DI, Bettermaker CV502. Avid Artist Mix, Avid Artist Control, Softube Console 1 mk11.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:45 PM

^^^^ Dizzi45Z - "The reinstatement plan is a complete enemy to this relationship"

Hear, hear!

Couldn't say it better myself - and I love badinage!

Also - this should be implemented now for maximum Goodwill - as opposed to a desperate "get them back at all costs" measure down the track.

When I'm CEO of Avid, I'll make the Pro Tools software free. Probably have to limit the included Plug-Ins and charge-like-a-wounded-bull for other Plug-Ins and Hardware - but they'll be so good, nobody will mind.
Pro Tools in every School and every Student has their own copy at home.
Avid "Everywhere" - in the true sense of the word.
Small mark-up (sure!) - but, volume sales.

When the whole world's running Pro Tools, please spare a thought for Darryl, Tom, Stig, albee1952/Dave, Drew, Carl, Southsidemusic, Nigel and their peers ....
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 12-29-2017, 04:25 PM

On 2nd thoughts, I'd prefer Jeffro as CEO.
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 12-29-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
On 2nd thoughts, I'd prefer Jeffro as CEO.
I 2nd that motion !!!

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 12-29-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
I 2nd that motion !!!
That's poetry in motion!

And thanks for your many contributions here - much appreciated - have a "Great 18"!
Old 12-29-2017, 05:37 PM

This is a fantastic idea, which is why you can fully expect Avid to never do it. Ever. Just like so many of the fantastic ideas on Ideascale. YOUR CUSTOMERS ARE TELLING YOU EXACTLY HOW TO TAKE THEIR MONEY. Avid: "What we really need is a cloud sharing system!" Me: [FACEPALM]. The entire industry views Avid as a greedy company who makes terrible decisions. I wonder why that is?

I love the software, but seriously Avid, a universal key to success for many of us has been listening to our customers. I'd love to see Avid get on board and start giving us more meaningful updates so that a DAW like Reaper isn't outperforming Pro Tools. FYI Avid- Other DAWs don't take 1 minute to launch. Can we please get some of that?
Old 12-29-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
Dear AVID,

I have been a Pro Tools user for over 10 years since the Digidesign days. I really want to love you as a company (like I did Digidesign), but the past 5-10 years have been rough.
You make some good points.

Just for historical accuracy, Avid purchased Digidesign in early 1995, almost 23 years ago. They didn't re badge their Digidesign products with 'Avid' until much later.
I'm not sure exactly how long you've used Pro Tools but for most users Avid has always owned Pro Tools.
Widespread dissatisfaction with Avid seemed to me to happen some time around 2010 when they released Pro Tools 9, which untethered Pro Tools from Avid hardware, but was much more expensive to upgrade to.
5,1 Mac Pro, 3.46 GHz Six Core Xeon, 48gb ram, Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6, HD Native card, Avid 192io interface, Avid 96io, Intensity Pro video card, Radeon HD 7950 graphics card, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.7.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lae777 View Post
You make some good points.

Just for historical accuracy, Avid purchased Digidesign in early 1995, almost 23 years ago. They didn't re badge their Digidesign products with 'Avid' until much later.
I'm not sure exactly how long you've used Pro Tools but for most users Avid has always owned Pro Tools.
Widespread dissatisfaction with Avid seemed to me to happen some time around 2010 when they released Pro Tools 9, which untethered Pro Tools from Avid hardware, but was much more expensive to upgrade to.
Are you sure about that? I purchased Pro Tools 7.3 with Digidesign logos etc. around 2006. Previous to that, I owned an M-Powered Pro Tools version (like 2004-ish) that would have been Avid related. But as far as I understood, Avid didn't take over until Pro Tools 8-ish. I could be wrong. Anyone else confrim this?
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Old 12-29-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lae777 View Post
But regardless, you are absolutely right. That was the beginning of many bad decisions. It really felt like a different company to me when Pro Tools went to 9 and beyond. That was when the AVID brand name started showing up everywhere.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4