Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 11-24-2020, 03:46 PM

Default Footswitch Issue w/Artist Mix.

I have never used the footswitch feature in my artist mix and decided to try it out. So I am using it in protools and I went to the Eucontrol preferences. I clicked on record/play and tried it on a track. I arm the track and then ran it hoping to punch in....nothing. I arm the track and then hit the FS. Sometimes it the then runs the track all ready to record but then I hit it to stop and nothing. It doesn't stop the track and it doesn't turn off record. The manual just said footswitch so I figured it meant regular guitar amp style on/off FS. Am I missing something? I also tried a sustain pedal type FS and same deal....What I was hoping is that I could run a track that is armed and then punch in, record and then punch out. Help?
Old 11-24-2020, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Footswitch Issue w/Artist Mix.

Are you in Quick-Punch mode? Right-click the master RECORD button and select Quick-Punch(Master Record button should have a P letter showing).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-25-2020, 04:21 PM

There should be a control panel in EuControl settings for you to manipulate that will control what function your switch does. Unfortunately, while changing the settings works, there isn't really a way to test it within the settings screen. It USED to tell you that the switch was open or closed, but no longer does. In fact, in EuCon 2020.11, it just has placeholder text where it SHOULD tell you the status of the switch. The previous version at least pretended to be the indicator, even though it didn't actually reflect the status of the pedal.

At least with my Artist Control, I can go into the hardware test mode and check the open/close status of the pedal. Not sure what you can do with your Artist Mix to check whether it's your pedal or your settings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 19.18.18.jpg (31.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-26-2020, 07:15 PM

Thanks guys. I think we're on to something. I did the right click on the record button(Quickpunch) and that helped. Is it true that this thing only works with a momentary FS? At first I tried with a latching FS from a guitar amp and it would sort of work....every two or three clicks it would do something. THe momentary seems to work almost every time.
When I am in record/record mode, I hit play and then when I hit the momentary FS it starts recording. Hit it again and it stops recording and keeps playing the track.
In record/play mode it kind of does different things. If I hit the momentary FS with the track stopped, it lights the record button. I hit it again. it does the count off and then starts play/recording. Hit it again it turns off the record button and then rewinds and starts playing.
If I start the track and let it play, then punch in, it starts recording. When I hit it again, it turns off the record button and then rewinds so that I can hear what I just played. Does this sound about right? And am I right about needing the momentary switch instead of the latching?
Thanks....sorry if this is confusing but I really do appreciate your help as this will save me some time once I know what it is supposed to do vs what I think it should do.
rick
Old 11-26-2020, 07:39 PM

Thanks. I right clicked the record button and did quickpunch, and now it is a little more predictable. So is it true that this works only with a momentary footswitch? I tried a sustain pedal off a synth and it seemed to work. The latch/guitar amp switch worked like every third punch.
In record/record mode, I start the track, hit the FS, it starts recording and thenI hit it again, the track keeps playing and record is off.
In record/play mode it is still somewhat unpredictable. If the track is stopped and I hit the FS, usually it lights the record button. I hit it again and it then starts recording, Hit it again and it keeps playing but not recording. However, sometimes I hit the switch and it starts playing. Then I hit it it is in record mode...hit it again and it rewinds in play mode so that I can hear what I did. I just wish I know whether it was going to play or record when I hit it.
Old 11-09-2023, 01:58 PM

It worked Thanks Brother! Go to Eucontrol Prefs and enable for Record!
Old 11-13-2023, 12:15 PM

Yes, a momentary footswitch is what you need.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave