Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2006, 01:06 AM

Default monitoring effects with 002

can someone tell me:

1. can i monitor an effect (without printing) while tracking with either (or both) an outboard processor or a plug-in?

2. if possible, which one introduces the least amount of latency?

3. how do i set up the one that has the least amount of latency with my 002?

i want to hear reverb and maybe a delay while tracking vocals but i don't want to print the efffect just the dry track.

thanks.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:13 AM

Default Re: monitoring effects with 002

Hi, right beside.

It is possible in two ways:

1) An insert plug-in;
Create your audio track to be recorded to, create a stereo (or mono, if you prefer) auxiliary track, take a bus out from the audio track via the sends and send it to Bus 1+2 (or whichever bus you prefer to use), make sure that the send level is up to the desired level (preferably 0dB), select the input of the auxiliary track as Bus 1+2 (or, whichever bus you selected), insert a reverb plug-in on the auxiliary channel (setting the mix to 100% wet), enable record on the audio track, and set the desired level of the reverb via the auxiliary track's fader.

2) An external reverb module;
Do more-or-less the same process as above, but instead of bussing your audio track out to Bus 1+2 via the sends, you should send it out of your audio interface's physical ports (3+4, or just 3 if it's a mono signal, or alternatively whichever output you prefer) to your external reverb module, set the mix value on the reverb module to 100% wet, and then instead of inserting a reverb plug-in on the auxiliary track, you simply select its input to whichever physical input you're bring it back in via (so 1+2, or whichever you prefer), and then again, set the desired level of the reverb via the auxiliary track's fader.

It's early in the morning, but I think that's right, heh!

As for the delay, this is really specific to each set-up and how fast it can perform (i.e. your computer itself, and the external reverb module), so I couldn't really say. If your external reverb module is of a poor quality, then I'm guessing that you may have more luck with the plug-in. But, try the two, and you'll find out!

Good luck,
onlyone-jc.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:38 PM

Default Re: monitoring effects with 002

thanks a lot. that helps.