Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2012, 12:17 PM

Post Issues resolved and not resolved by 10.2

Ok, firstly: thank you AVID for updating the installer and for the new patch it actually installs where I want it to now (yay!) and there has been some much needed improvements to PT.

Here is my list as to what has been fixed (on my system anyways) and what hasn't.

FIXED:
-Video playback not scrubbing
-more stable*/ less overall crashing
-most midi issues have been resolved
-some import issues have been resolved- less "neo-assertion" errors
-installer now installs completely and will detect if restart/ uninstall is needed- FANTASTIC new installer. Much faster install, and more options that um... actually do what you tell it to. Nice job!
-Play now seems to unpack correctly and not sound tin-like upon open, but more research/usage will be necessary before I give this a "fixed" label.

Now for the bad news...
NOT FIXED or WORSE:
-SEVERE CRASHING under certain settings... see next post below.
-Resource management is very poor/CPU usage is far too high (still better overall)
-occasionally setting the velocity levels on a midi track with a lot of midi data will completely crash the system. (rare, but still happens)
-Random "out of CPU power" errors where there shouldn't be any...
-Trouble loading older sessions with some corrupted data (this makes sense, i'll give you this one) as it crashes PT.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Stability determined by overall workflow verses crashing ratio, ratio is considerably higher for the latest build, but still not desirable.

Note: I will update this as necessary.

Thank guys for the help, and thanks AVID for finnally releasing an update, my workflow has improved, now I don't have to restart every 10 minutes... instead I just restart every few hours.

And before you ask... yes I have prepared my system optimization and yes done complete and full uninstalls... ect. And for the purposes of testing/diagnostics I did install it to the default location.

Pro Tools 11 HD, 64Gb ram, 12tb SSD, 1909
HD Omni/Thunderbolt Native
A bucketload of libraries
www.Reverbnation.com/jedediahjenk
www.soundcloud.com/jedediahjenk
notedmusic.wix.com/jedediahjenk
Old 05-22-2012, 12:25 PM

Post Re: Issues resolved and not resolved by 1.2.0

Now, as for the other post...

Here are the settings I was using when my computer completely meltdown like a fusion reactor (nasty .2sec loop stuck in headphones at loudest volume, mouse would move but not click anything, keyboard would not do anything, CTRL ATL DELETE would fail, ect. I had to forcibly restart).

Settings:
512 Samples @ 96K 32Bit
4 Processors ON
CPU 80%
Optimize for streaming
Delay Comp- short

What was I doing:
Working on a mix with 14+ midi tracks. Medium load trailer music type of setup. Using Kontakt, Eastwest Ql, and lots of Xpand.

I had this happen twice in a row, then remembering all the issues with PT 10.1.2 decided to stay away from that setting. I am running 3 CPU at 99% which actually sometimes seems less stable then 2 cores at 99%. This current setting is not ideal, as it generates a random Out of CPU power errors, but it is better than my computer crashing again.

If anyone could take a look at this, that'd be great.

Thanks everyone,
-notedmusic.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Issues resolved and not resolved by 10.2

A few observations that I have absorbed over the past few months in PT10.xx:

AMD processors seem a little less stabile than Intel.

With heavy VI content, use three as opposed to four processors, and disable multi processor use in Kontakt.

Don't mix "Kontakt" with "Play" in PT, use a ReWire application such as Reaper. Or go with VEPro.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 05-22-2012, 01:17 PM

Default Re: Issues resolved and not resolved by 10.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
A few observations that I have absorbed over the past few months in PT10.xx:

AMD processors seem a little less stabile than Intel.

With heavy VI content, use three as opposed to four processors, and disable multi processor use in Kontakt.

Don't mix "Kontakt" with "Play" in PT, use a ReWire application such as Reaper. Or go with VEPro.
Thanks for the response! Yes, I forgot to mention that I have kontakt set to not have multiprocessors as PT handles that. (I will double check this though, as I recently re-installed it for PT 10.2)... Sounds like I really should be using MOTU for what im doing, but I have a PC... As for the rewire, I have noticed that it is rather... clunky, especially with Sibelus + Pro Tools and induces a lot of lag. As far as I know, there is no easy way to use PT as the midi and send the data to another rewire app to go into QL and then back out to PT for the audio... this sounds like a wild goose chase. I really like the PT piano roll and its nice to mix audio wav with "live" or sampled instruments... otherwise for stability sake I would probably use another application.

On a side note, it would be nice if AVID would allow me to import velocity into Sibelius... or choose whether I want to or not. Then I can just convert velocity to dynamics and that would save a LOT of time. For some reason going directly into Sibelius preserves the notation, but looses everything else, even tempo data and markers. But this isn't an issue of stability, only convenience.

So any reason in particular I cannot mix kontakt and play? Does this cause issues with them fighting over ram or something?

Thanks
-notedmusic