Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2008, 11:39 AM

Default PT will not open or create a session on external drive

Hi,

I have had a problem since doing a complete fresh install on my 1.42DP G4 with OS10.4.8 and PT7.1 M-Powered. I cannot create or open a session on a drive that is not connected to the same controller as the OS drive. I'm not absolutely sure that the problem wasn't there before as I always record to the same drive and use the others for backups. I seem to remember that I opened sessions on my backup drive from time to time to check things.

I cannot open or create a session on a drive that is not on the same controller as the OS drive. Same for a FW drive. I have a second drive on the OS drive controller and everything is fine with that one, same for the OS drive. I have another drive on the second controller and that one won't work.

If I try to create a session I get this message:

"Could not create new document because assetion in "Sys_FileUtilsMacOS.cpp", line 1178 while setting attributes for (session name) while creating (session name)"

If I try to open a session I get:

"Could not complete your request because Volume not found (-35) while opening (session name)"

If I copy a session (drag and drop copy) to a FW drive and take it to another studio, I can open it there, but I can't open it on my system.

I also use Digital Performer 5.12 and I have no problem whatsoever using any drive that program.

I'm puzzled...!!!
Old 10-21-2008, 04:36 PM

Default Re: PT will not open or create a session on external drive

Well, I didn't expect to provide my own answer...

The problem was that both drives that were not working had names that contanined an "é" and apparently ProTools doesn't like that. I was running PT6.8 before doing a fresh install and uddating to 7.1 and I suspect 6"8 didn't mind the "foreign" characters...