Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2016, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Control won't connect? Via Ethernet cable to router? SOLUTION ETHERNET WORKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
"You MUST have your Power Adapter connected to the apple USB3 Adapter.
Otherwise you get the message that the ethernet adapter takes to much power and it does not work."

this is not truly the way i would like it to work .. i posted his in the other thread as well .. we need to Power to come down the Ethernet line not USB .. unless someone makes a battery that can be mounted directly to your iPad so you do not have to be tied to the short USB power leash ...
Using power over ethernet wouldn't solve the problem as I doubt very much the Apple ethernet adapter would be able to take advantage of it.

You could get a longer lightning cable, or use a USB battery charger, just make sure you get one that has enough to charge an iPad as most are designed for phones.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Control won't connect? Via Ethernet cable to router? SOLUTION ETHERNET WORKS!

understood .. just not an elegant solution .. maybe there is a flat battery that the iPad can sit on and power all this crap .. Only Avid would cost us more money !!! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_lowe View Post
Using power over ethernet wouldn't solve the problem as I doubt very much the Apple ethernet adapter would be able to take advantage of it.

You could get a longer lightning cable, or use a USB battery charger, just make sure you get one that has enough to charge an iPad as most are designed for phones.

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 05-13-2016, 02:02 PM

Default Re: Control won't connect? Via Ethernet cable to router?

just got word into my dealer and getting the combo S3 with the dock (when it comes out) so I will be dealing with this soon.

I only have 1 ETH port on my computer.....I don't know how this would work for me.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 05-15-2016, 02:06 AM

So...how does the ehernet thing work? Do you need an internet connection or can you just plug through ethernet without internet as you would a typical hardware controller?
Old 05-15-2016, 06:25 AM

Yes w/o internet, via the LAN port....

Old 05-16-2016, 12:21 PM

"The iPad and Pro Tools | Control app are also now qualified to work as a wired direct connection to your Ethernet network with a 2 adapters from Apple (the wired Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter + USB 2 to Ethernet Adapter) for connection of Ethernet cable."

from Tom Graham ... i copied this from his Blog ..

do you think this mean no power is needed ??

now the issue i see is this .. my MC Transport is connected to Ethernet Port #1 .. i do not see a way (without a router / ethernet hub) to use both ethernet ports on my Mac .. in EuCon Prefs (found in system prefs) you can only assign one port at a time ... so it looks like a ethernet router ..

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 05-16-2016, 05:13 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
"The iPad and Pro Tools | Control app are also now qualified to work as a wired direct connection to your Ethernet network with a 2 adapters from Apple (the wired Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter + USB 2 to Ethernet Adapter) for connection of Ethernet cable."

from Tom Graham ... i copied this from his Blog ..

do you think this mean no power is needed ??

now the issue i see is this .. my MC Transport is connected to Ethernet Port #1 .. i do not see a way (without a router / ethernet hub) to use both ethernet ports on my Mac .. in EuCon Prefs (found in system prefs) you can only assign one port at a time ... so it looks like a ethernet router ..
Hey John,

A power connection is still needed to power the adapter when Ethernet cable is attached. This is a requirement by Apple.

Also, EuControl will look at all of your Ethernet/Wi-Fi ports. So, you can have multiple surfaces connected to multiple ports and EuControl will see them all. In System Prefs>EUCON, the Network Interface drop-down menu is now only used in a scenario where two workstation computers are used and you must choose the appropriate port for your surface/switch connection.
Berkeley, CA
Old 05-16-2016, 05:23 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
just got word into my dealer and getting the combo S3 with the dock (when it comes out) so I will be dealing with this soon.

I only have 1 ETH port on my computer.....I don't know how this would work for me.
The S3 has two Ethernet ports (A & B), so you can connect Dock into S3's Port B then connect S3's Port A to your computer's Ethernet port. Additionally, you could use an adapter like Thunderbolt Ethernet or USB Ethernet for a second network connection, depending on what your computer supports.
Berkeley, CA
Old 05-16-2016, 06:50 PM

Great Kyle, thanks for that....

I was wondering if I could use one of the ports off the S3.... Would I still need the adapter to be powered? The one for the dock ?

Old 05-16-2016, 07:33 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Great Kyle, thanks for that....

I was wondering if I could use one of the ports off the S3.... Would I still need the adapter to be powered? The one for the dock ?
Yes, the adapter always needs power. But, it can be powered via Dock's built in USB port though. This will simultaneously provide power to the adapter and charge the iPad.
Berkeley, CA