Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2015, 05:05 PM

Default Re: New Avid Protools Control for IPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8dB.co.uk View Post
What's the betting it only works with 12? That way it's not "free"..
The page says "Take wireless remote control of Pro Tools, Media Composer, and other popular audio and video tools right from your iPad"

Which seems to imply that this controller will work with any Eucon-enabled app.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:48 PM

I bet this is 12 only. I have both V Control and ProTransport and pretty much use them as remote transports not so much for mixing or plugin control. Having the graphic window in V Control is a nice idea but I still find I move faster with a mouse and keyboard personally.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
The page says "Take wireless remote control of Pro Tools, Media Composer, and other popular audio and video tools right from your iPad"

Which seems to imply that this controller will work with any Eucon-enabled app.

Unfortunately it also says "Pro Tools | Control can be used to enhance your S3 and Artist Series workflows".

Reading between the lines, I get the impression that whilst this may be free, it will only be of use in conjunction with an Avid / Euphonix control surface.

I really hope I'm wrong about that.

If it can be used independently, and has the facility for controlling plug-ins, that would be superb, because that's one thing that the Slate Raven really can't be beat on.

I find plug-in control a bit of a hassle with a regular control surface, because you can end up having to page through literally dozens of parameters, in order to manipulate a few parameters, that the manufacturer has had to map in a certain way.

Call up a VI like Xpand, a Multi-band Limiter like ML4000, or a Channel Strip, and you could be looking at about 20 pages of parameters to have to skip back and forth between, all with oblique, appended names appearing on the control surface (don't even get me started on something like Amplitube).

With the Raven, and hopefully this app from Avid, just grabbing the plug-in control itself cuts out so many layers of interference.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:41 PM

Hopefully they will make an android version too.

Wave-T.com
Old 04-11-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post
Unfortunately it also says "Pro Tools | Control can be used to enhance your S3 and Artist Series workflows".

Reading between the lines, I get the impression that whilst this may be free, it will only be of use in conjunction with an Avid / Euphonix control surface.

I really hope I'm wrong about that.

If it can be used independently, and has the facility for controlling plug-ins, that would be superb, because that's one thing that the Slate Raven really can't be beat on.

I find plug-in control a bit of a hassle with a regular control surface, because you can end up having to page through literally dozens of parameters, in order to manipulate a few parameters, that the manufacturer has had to map in a certain way.

Call up a VI like Xpand, a Multi-band Limiter like ML4000, or a Channel Strip, and you could be looking at about 20 pages of parameters to have to skip back and forth between, all with oblique, appended names appearing on the control surface (don't even get me started on something like Amplitube).

With the Raven, and hopefully this app from Avid, just grabbing the plug-in control itself cuts out so many layers of interference.
No, I think it only means you can use it with the Artist and others. Think of it as a Eucon device, not a PT device.

I'll take a look on Monday.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:42 PM

Yeah yeah yeah very cool for native users, but for HD users really? Seriously we have control services already. This is not no more than a gimmick.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 04-11-2015, 11:18 PM

Quote:
I certainly hope that's not the case

Quote:
yes, but that's decidedly NOT "free"
Old 04-11-2015, 11:21 PM

This is awesome. I hope it works with my 003 surface, but I won't be surprised if it doesn't. But I'm still excited about this because I move between multiple studios. This will be awesome to use in conjunction with other control surfaces. I see the vcontrol and artist mixes used all the time in addition to icons and other consoles. I love the soft key section of the artist control, and s6. I most excited about that. Having that on an iPad that I can customize and tote around will be awesome. If this has a multi touch surround panner I'll be in heaven.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:12 AM

I'm excited by this - I've used 3P alternatives too and remember the possibility of iPad control coming up in an Avid survey years ago. However, some context for those currently considering jumping ship for a different DAW: Cubase offers IC Pro and Apple has Logic Remote.

I guess a combination of new features (this, track freeze, ... who knows: stability?) will encourage more users to buy into a PT12 plan over time, making this a good thing after the fiasco of the new licensing/Everywhere/12 launch. If they keep this stuff coming (and not just around major trade shows - that would be too similar to the previous 9/10/11 launch timetable), users won't mind paying their $199 when it comes up to stay up-to-date ... all the more reason to allow plans to lapse without such a heavy penalty, something which I feel will act as a barrier to new Pro Tools users and is the main 'negative' for current users now considering their options.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Yeah yeah yeah very cool for native users, but for HD users really? Seriously we have control services already. This is not no more than a gimmick.
No you had them, they were taken off you, and you need to comply by repurchasing them.... in the meantime you can play with this iPad app...