Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2011, 08:00 AM

Default What AAX DSP plugins are available today?

Wondered if I could beg some help.

I have an HDX 2 upgrade, with a bunch of interfaces and new controller arriving in two weeks.

Much as the upgrade decision was a no-brainer for me personally (my HD4 rig has repaid me numerous times over during it's 10 years of 12 hour service-days), I have some concerns about AAX DSP plugin support for us (relatively) early-adopters. My sessions are big, and I doubt they'd run entirely native, even on a 12 Core Mac Pro.

So, does anyone know a) what AAX DSP plugins Avid have actually ported/released and are shipping and b) which 3rd party plugins are actually released and running under PT10 and HDX? Despite the myriad announcements of 'support', it seems the only software company who have actually delivered AAX DSP plugins to date is Softube.

Does anyone out there have more detailed info?

Many thanks

Jules
Old 12-06-2011, 05:11 PM

Default Re: What AAX DSP plugins are available today?

Jules,

Quote:
I have an HDX 2 upgrade, with a bunch of interfaces and new controller arriving in two weeks.
You flash git! I must've missed the string of number 1's you had to pay for all this. But looks like you're certainly going for it in a big way. Bleeding edge or what??

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question mate, but loving PT10HD here and slightly miffed I won't be able to afford to trade up my 2 systems any time soon. Sure could do with some 64 bit relief for running VI's and 'ting, but alas.

Hope you're doin' well mate. C U at the Universal writers drinks on the 19th?? I'm determined to make it there this year. Got snowed in on the remote Welsh hillside last year and missed it.

Cheers

Steve Bush
www.music180.com/pros/5887

MacPro 4.1 (Nehalem) 2.26 8 Core, OSX 10.6.8, PT10HD, 14 Gig RAM, PCIe HD3, 192, Sync I/O, Midi I/O.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:16 PM

Blue Cat has some for download

I'm guessing that most will ether try and be available when the HDX cards ship or by NAMM

Then there is the 800 pound gorila "Waves" that is dragging there feet

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-07-2011, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushpig View Post
Jules,

You flash git! I must've missed the string of number 1's you had to pay for all this. But looks like you're certainly going for it in a big way. Bleeding edge or what??
Ahh Bushy - I sometimes forget you loiter in the murky alleyways of the DUC! I'll ignore your facetious comment about number ones - I'm afraid you'll always have the edge on me in that department!

I actually did the maths and amortized out the cost of my PTHD rig bought 10 years ago, and the money I've earned since, and it made me happy. I can't really afford the upgrade but WTF - it's only money, and it looks like I won't be hanging my boots up any time soon, so I may as well have some techno-fun whilst I'm writing. In all seriousness, there are some stonking deals out there if you shop around, and since pretty much everything I have needed upgrading, certain economies of scale have made it less painful - although still pretty bloody excruciatring.

See you at the Universal beer-up (I hope).

Craig - Thanks mate, I'll check the Blue Cat stuff. Not really familiar with it. Waves dragging their feat - surely not?! Not even an AAX announcement I see. That can't be good. Not that I've really used my Platinum bundle in the last 5 years. Every time I reach for a Waves plugin, there's something better elsewhere, but then I don't have all the shiny new stuff. I think WUP put me off sending any more of my hard-earned their way, but that's a separate debate.

The Softube stuff looks good, and I do like my emulations of vintage compressors. The Massenburg EQ is the one I'm really going to miss in the short-term. I pretty much load up my DSP with it every session, and then use RTAS for everything else. Here's hoping George finds time to slide out from behind the million dollar desk and don his nerdy coding garb for a few days.

Jules
Old 12-07-2011, 12:18 AM

PS. That Euphonix channel strip that PT 10 ships with looks pretty tasty. I assume that comes in AAX DSP flavour, which might keep me going until the 3rd party ports start arriving. Bushy, have you checked it out - any good?
Old 12-10-2011, 05:00 AM

Jules,

Howdy mate. Sorry so long for a reply. I got sidetracked with boring stuff, like bombing up to London and back for a jobby.

I haven't tried the Channel Strip yet. The first time I opened it, it looked kinda fiddly and not very intuitive. Maybe too much stuff all going on in one small window. I'm sure I'll get into it though. Maybe it'll sound really nice and that'll convince me. Since it's Native only for me on a humble TDM HD3, I won't be able to use it on my Aux groups without taking the voice and ADC hit. I will be giving it a go on some channels though when I get inspired to suss it out.

Also, as I get longer in the tooth I find myself using less and less EQ and compression. I have been mostly using the Brainworx DynEQ, coz I find mostly it's just one errant frequency that needs massaging, and the fact that a dynamic EQ like this will just grab the offending spot only when it goes over the threshold, means it leaves the rest of the signal alone most of the time, which I find much more musical than a static EQ. I still like the standard Digi 7 Band EQ though for normal EQ work and really loving the Branworx Digital V2 for my main mix EQ. Also, all their stuff is M/S, which I've been REALLY getting into.

One thing I have surprised myself with in PT10 though, is clip gain. I kept reading here all the people saying, "when are we gonna get clip gain in PT" and always thought, what the hell are they on about. Maybe the post guys for turning up that one gunshot sound, but for music, huh?? WRONG! I have so totally gotten into it. I don't even bother with the display with that little fader thingy in each region (Ooh sorry, 'Clip") which I've already inadvertantly bumped with the mouse several times. Just using the key command shortcut while I'm doing a high-wire, death defying comp of a vocal or something, it's SO useful. Just bumping little pieces as I go along has made my life much easier (De-essing etc). Before it was either open an Audiosuite window and fanny around with processing little sections and trimming them back in etc, or having to do a long drawn out fiddly automation job, now I just hit the key command without even thinking about it. Life changing.

Quote:
I actually did the maths and amortized out the cost of my PTHD rig bought 10 years ago, and the money I've earned since, and it made me happy. I can't really afford the upgrade but WTF - it's only money, and it looks like I won't be hanging my boots up any time soon, so I may as well have some techno-fun whilst I'm writing. In all seriousness, there are some stonking deals out there if you shop around, and since pretty much everything I have needed upgrading, certain economies of scale have made it less painful - although still pretty bloody excruciatring
You bloody go for it mate! I'll be leading the Ra-Ra team from the sidelines hoping the bleeding edge doesn't give you too many headaches, so all power to you matey. I must come and see your "new" studio sometime soon then.

Laters.

SB
www.music180.com/pros/5887

MacPro 4.1 (Nehalem) 2.26 8 Core, OSX 10.6.8, PT10HD, 14 Gig RAM, PCIe HD3, 192, Sync I/O, Midi I/O.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerman View Post
Wondered if I could beg some help.

So, does anyone know a) what AAX DSP plugins Avid have actually ported/released and are shipping and b) which 3rd party plugins are actually released and running under PT10 and HDX? Despite the myriad announcements of 'support', it seems the only software company who have actually delivered AAX DSP plugins to date is Softube.

Does anyone out there have more detailed info?

Many thanks

Jules
Avid will release reverb one, revibe, impact as AAX DSP and Native when HDX is released. Quite a few of the stock pro tools plugins are also AAX. Saw the AAX plugin folder at a recent event.

Eventide is already in beta along with sonnox and Phoenix. Heat is also working with HDX. Steven Slate stuff is in beta and McDsp is also in beta. Probably won't see many of these until late January and a few each month thereafter.

Congrats - HDX 2 looks to be extremely powerful.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:26 AM

Hope they don't do the HD(x) processor then soon HD(x) accell like in the past.

Smooth Sailing HDX2