Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2016, 09:56 PM

Default OS Installation Error

I have a Macbook Pro that I used in tandem for a long time with a Pro Tools Express setup. I sent my Macbook off for repairs and it was wiped clean, and I believe the software was also updated. When attempting to reinstall Pro Tools I get an installation error message telling me "an incompatible version of OS as found. Pro Tools 10.3.4 requires OS X version 10.7 or higher." The version I am currently running is OS X El Captain 10.11.6. This is clearly higher than 10.7, but there apparently is a compatibility issue. Is there a way to make my Pro Tools Express compatible with this setup? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:01 PM

Default Re: OS Installation Error

There is no way to make an old PT Express work with El Capitan so either downgrade your OS to 10.7 or upgrade to PT12. There is Nowhere inbetween to go here.

Why would the store upgrade your OS without asking first? If you did a quick google search you would find it will never work.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-12-2016, 11:39 AM

I appreciate the quick response. Do you know how I could possibly downgrade my iOS?
Old 09-12-2016, 11:49 AM

We are in the process of this ourselves on one of our MacPros I would be the wrong person to answer this

Someone else will chime in for sure.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-12-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
We are in the process of this ourselves on one of our MacPros I would be the wrong person to answer this

Someone else will chime in for sure.
A lot will depend on what exactly was done in the op's repair. I know that new machines that come with ElCrapitan can't be backdated and ones that had a lower OSX before can go back in OSX versions. IIRC there's some firmware updates that can't be backdated if the machine originally came with EC.

QAPLA!
Old 09-12-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
A lot will depend on what exactly was done in the op's repair. I know that new machines that come with ElCrapitan can't be backdated and ones that had a lower OSX before can go back in OSX versions. IIRC there's some firmware updates that can't be backdated if the machine originally came with EC.
Yes thats what we have issues here with but I thiNk the OP had 10.7 when he sent the Mac in for swiping drives,

We'll see when he comes back what we can do for him. Thanks for jumping in Jack.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-13-2016, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Yes thats what we have issues here with but I thiNk the OP had 10.7 when he sent the Mac in for swiping drives,

We'll see when he comes back what we can do for him. Thanks for jumping in Jack.
Wasn't sure what OSX the op had as it seemed like he quoted the specs for PTE. Hopefully he'll come back to us and we can help.

QAPLA!
Old 09-26-2016, 12:57 PM

Hey everyone, just wanted to update. I spoke to a few Apple representatives through chat, a couple of who helped me out tremendously. I was able to do an internet recovery which, after about 24 hours, restored my Macbook Pro to its original OS (10.8.5, not 10.7 as I had previously believed.) This put my safari browser out of date, which gave me some trouble, but with Google Chrome I was able to re-install my Pro Tools Express and I am now back in the lab! I want to thank everybody here for getting me on the right track to a solution. I am beyond excited to be making music again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pt.jpg (41.3 KB, 0 views)