Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 12-10-2010, 07:38 AM

Default PT9 and firewall/anti-virus

Hello,

I have just installed PT 9 on my Win 7 64-bits system and had to uninstall Comodo to get things running.

Does anyone know if there is any good (and preferably free) firewall and antivirus software out there that will not conflict with PT?

thanks!
best, JackGasoline
Old 12-10-2010, 07:49 AM

Default Re: PT9 and firewall/anti-virus

The best thing you can do is keep the computer off the internet as much as possible. I only connect long enough to update drivers. I have heard that AVG plays nicely with previous versions of PT, so I can't see why it wouldn't be worth a try with 9. Its free, as is Avast. Can't think of a firewall, but someone else probably will

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-11-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackGasoline View Post
Hello,

I have just installed PT 9 on my Win 7 64-bits system and had to uninstall Comodo to get things running.

Does anyone know if there is any good (and preferably free) firewall and antivirus software out there that will not conflict with PT?

thanks!
best, JackGasoline
What Albee said is the best option, especially if one plans on using his/her PT computer for surfing a ton of sites (very risky). I'm one of those guys who uses the internet on my PT more often than not, but for the same handful of sites... Updates, DUC, downloading/uploading files to FTP, downloading new music software, and biz email from my host site. I've done this for years, have never had a virus or spyware problem, and ONLY use the windows firewall (and now win defender). To each is own, but IMO the other computer hogging virus stuff allows you to roam any place on the internet without caution and download anything. If you are only updating or something simple like that then win firewall and win defender are fine. And of course have your system backed up.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:28 AM

I just installed AVG and all seems to be working just fine. It's not that I do a lot of surfing on my PT machine, but it is still connected to the net all the time so it's just to be on the safe side.
Thanks guys!
Old 12-11-2010, 09:23 AM

My 2 cents. I've had good luck with SuperAntiSpyware free version. Just uncheck all automatic stuff, and manually launch and check for updates before scanning. I run CCleaner and have Acronis C drive backups just in case. This works for me, on both Windows XP and Windows 7. I generally do not use my PT rig for internet; I use a separate computer for that purpose.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 12-12-2010, 01:20 AM

I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials along with the built-in Windows firewall. It doesn't seem to bog my system down, and I haven't fallen victim to any malware yet. It's free.

Then again, I'm a VERY careful person when it comes to Web surfing and e-mail. I ran for many years with absolutely no malware protection of any kind. Just have my Internet through a router. If you don't go to bad sites, and you don't open bad attachments, and you're connected through a router I think you're pretty safe for the most part.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
The best thing you can do is keep the computer off the internet as much as possible. I only connect long enough to update drivers.
Antivirus and networking will take processing power away from any DAW. Pro Tools happens to be overly sensitive to this. When I need to connect to internet, I use Microsoft Security Essentials on both Win7 and Vista, though this is rare.

To share between PC's I use physical media - removable hdd, flash. For general internet, a second pc.

Mike.

Avid Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.3. Win7x64Sp1. i7-930 X58A-UD3R. Acronis backup. Black Viper optimized.
Google the DUC
Search Avid

Old 12-12-2010, 10:35 AM

I'm another one that does not run any virus protection or firewall on the computer I use for Pro Tools and other sound-related activities. I tried several and they were always bogging down everything. I run a firewall on my Wi-Fi router so it's not possible for an external computer to actually see any computers on my LAN. I generally use another computer for surfing and email. When I'm away from home, I'm careful to surf only known web sites and use a webmail tool to check email. So far, so good.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikDraw View Post
I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials along with the built-in Windows firewall. It doesn't seem to bog my system down, and I haven't fallen victim to any malware yet. It's free.

Then again, I'm a VERY careful person when it comes to Web surfing and e-mail. I ran for many years with absolutely no malware protection of any kind. Just have my Internet through a router. If you don't go to bad sites, and you don't open bad attachments, and you're connected through a router I think you're pretty safe for the most part.
+1
MSE all the way.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:21 PM

I used OneCare from BETA till it was discontinued. Never had a problem with PT. Great program. I have been running MSSE since it was in BETA also. I can't say as I have noticed any difference with it turned on or off.

My Core 2 Quad machine NEVER had any AV in the actual DAW partition but I routinely downloaded Windows Updates, product updates, answered DUC posts etc since 2006 without any ill adventures. As the other poster mentioned being behind a router makes a huge difference. I'm not advocating connecting to the net without any protection as much as I'm pointing out a little common sense goes a long, long way.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88