Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 02-07-2004, 01:17 PM

Default -9092

Hi all,

I'm trying to use PT Free on Windows 98 SE running on an IBM ThinkPad 390 laptop with 160 MB of RAM. I'm only using this system for MIDI editing, so I don't need to use the onboard audio for recording or playing back audio files, just the MIDI files using the MagicWave 3DX SoftSynth, which I am able to use to hear the MIDI files, etc. A couple of problems I'm having:

1.) I occassionaly get this error message when trying to play a session with 3 MIDI tracks:

The operating system held off interrupts for too long. If this occurs often, try increasing the "H/W Buffer Size" in the Hardware Setup panel. (-9092)

The buffer size is already set to the max setting, which is 8192 samples and I'm not trying to play back or record audio files anyway.

2.) PT will randomly freeze and the laptop will just reboot itself. This usually happens after having PT launched for about 15 -30 minutes.

3.) When I press the spacebar to play the MIDI tracks PT will sometimes very sluggishly respond. The counter doesn't start and no audio for a few seconds and then everything kicks in and catches up. When it starts doing this I'm usually preparing for problem number 2 to happen, so I start saving after every edit I make.

It would be great if anyone had any advice on how to fix any of these problems or any advice in general on how to maximize a Windows 98 machine for PT performance or maximize PT for use on this laptop. Sorry if I left out any pertinent details and please feel free to ask if I've left out anything important. I run my main system on a Mac, so I'm a little clueless with using PT on Windows. I am having fun using PT on a Windows laptop, though. Thanks a lot in advance for any suggestions!

-Scot
Old 02-07-2004, 02:44 PM

Default Re: -9092

I should've mentioned that I have a D-Link network card I'm using that I would rather not disable if I don't have to. I would if that would solve the problems. Also, I just tried lowering the buffer size to see if that would help. I also increased the CPU Usage to 80% from 75% - I'm not sure what the default was at this point. Does anyone know if there's a way to disable audio all together? Studio Vision Pro on the Mac had an audio setting where you could select the audio system or "Midi Only". I doubt that PT has that setting since it's more of an audio app than a midi app. Thanks again!
Old 02-08-2004, 03:13 PM

I decided to RTFM (duh!) and made a couple of the tweaks suggested in the Quick Start Guide pdf. I enabled DMA for the drive, which is the system and recording drive (even though I'm not recording or playing back audio) and disabled Auto Insert Notification for the CD-ROM drive. I also configured a network time application that automatically updates the system clock to the time on my router/firewall to only set the clock when the system boots and disabled Windows system sounds. I don't have real time file system virus protection software. I also bumped the buffer size down to the second highest setting. I am only using PT - no other apps launched when using PT. I'm still using the network card because I need to use this laptop to read email and post on the DUC. Things seem to be working better now (duh again!). The system hasn't crashed yet. It was still sluggish a couple of times but I can live with that. PT Free on Windows is pretty darn slick. It's very cool Digi offers such a great piece of software for free, me thinks. Anyway, thanks for reading and if anyone has any other suggestions I've overlooked I'd be happy to hear them.
Old 02-08-2004, 03:16 PM

I forgot to mention that I increased the CPU Usage to 85%.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:03 PM

Hello,

I just installed PTF on my computer a Pentium II 266 Intel, system RAM 6612KB,
Processor speed 352MHz, 256.OMB RAM, WIN 98. I can run the 8 tracks demo but
after a while I get the same error message than you get (-9092). The samples
buffer is already to the 8192 max, computer CPU usage is at 65%, sample rate
44100. I want to use PTF for sharing guitar audio files (Basic Tracks recording
sessions)using a Digitech RP3 as preamp with a friend who has the full version
of Pro Tools. I would only use minimum plug-ins. The basic tracks would be burned
on CD and then transferred to 32 tracks via CD interface.

Is there another adjustement I could do to make this work? Should I even add
more RAM to the PC or maybe try to find a faster processor? Or should I
just forget PTF?

Your suggestions are welcome.

Alab
Old 02-10-2004, 08:00 AM

Hi Alab,
You didn't mention whether or not you've tried any of the things that fixed my problem. Mine has been working fine since I've made the adjustments I mentioned in my previous posts. Try bumping up the CPU usage to 85%. Try to bump the sample buffer down one notch and if you still get the error bump it back up to the max. Another poster suggested that in another thread. But you may very well solve the problem if you just go through the pre-installation tasks in the Quick Start Guide like I eventually did. You may have to download the documentation - I think PTF and the documentation are two seperate downloads. Good luck!

-Scot
Old 02-10-2004, 09:38 AM

Hello Scot,

I did try your suggestions afterward and bumped the CPU usage to 80% and left the buffer rate at maximum. It seems to run ok, but the tracks clock, is not running smooth. I definitly think I
have to add more RAM since my system is only 66MB and the minimum specs are asking for 128MB RAM.
With more RAM it should run smoother. I will take the time to read the Quick Start Guide and let you guys know, shure it will help. It is a neat free-software!

Thanks

Alab