How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2018, 12:46 AM

Default Long delay on opening Audio/MIDI setup 10.13.6

Hi Y'all:

I've just migrated over to a new MBP i9 and this is of course running High Sierra 10.13.6, with the latest sup 2 update. All seems to be fine except that ProTools is "freezing" on startup when it comes to the Setting up MIDI message. It just hangs for 45 seconds. I get the same problem with Ableton Live too - there's a 45 second gap between starting up the program and getting the splash screen.

I went into Audio/MIDI setup and there's the same 45 second freeze before the MIDI window opens. It just says "Loading..." for 45 seconds and then the list of MIDI devices appears. I've disconnected and removed all MIDI devices so that all that is visible are Network, IAC Driver and Bluetooth but there's still the 45 second delay on starting it up. It's obviously trying to do something on startup that is timing out after 45 seconds but doesn't give me any indication what this might be.

Has anyone else seen this problem and, if you have, have you been able to resolve?
FaceBook
MySpace
Old 09-13-2018, 05:36 AM

Default Re: Long delay on opening Audio/MIDI setup 10.13.6

Do you use Bluetooth? If so disable it and see what happens. That kind of timeout thing sounds like it's looking for something on a network and not finding it.

QAPLA!
Old 09-13-2018, 06:26 AM

Do you have a CD/DVD in the optical drive? That will screw up the load time aswell.

Any firewalls and virus protection software can also be a damning thing.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-13-2018, 08:10 AM

Hi Guys:

Many thanks for getting back to me! I've turned Bluetooth off and it has made no difference. There's no firewall or virus software installed and I have wifi turned off as well. There's no DVD drive in the computer at all. I've even tried this with nothing plugged in, so that it's a plain and simple as possible!

Audio/MIDI Setup starts straightway if it doesn't have to open the MIDI window. If I then click Window | Show MIDI Studio then that's when the 45 second wait comes in. I also get the same thing if I rescan MIDI devices, the 45 second wait.
FaceBook
MySpace
Old 09-13-2018, 11:18 AM

trash AudioMidi prefs?

both audio and midi fine here.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:39 PM

Hi Everyone:

OK, sorted. It was the USB MIDI driver for my Korg Kronos, which uses the standard Korg USB MIDI driver. I found that if I opened Audio/MIDI Setup and the Kronos was attached and powered up, it wouldn't show as connected (i.e. it was showing on Audio/MIDI setup but was greyed out). If I unplugged the USB lead and put it back in then it became online and then Audio/MIDI setup would start up straightaway. Also ProTools doesn't get stuck at the Setting Up MIDI message (and Live also starts up straightaway too).

This was one of the first things I installed and, even though I had removed it from Audio/MIDI Setup, it was still lurking in there. I found this page on Korg's website https://www.korg.com/us/support/down...er/1/285/3856/ which confirms that there is a problem, so I downloaded the uninstaller and it's all working as it should now.

So, if anyone else has a post-2014 Mac running 10.13 and has the Krog USB MIDI driver installed, then download the uninstaller and all will be wonderful and quick again.

Thanks very much for everyone who has chipped in with this - it is much appreciated!
FaceBook
MySpace