Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2006, 09:08 PM

Default does midi track generate wav. files in aux track?

I'm running ptle7,winXPro,1gig ram,160gig hard drive, with Korg Triton rack mount as tone generator. Aux tracks are blank when I play any midi generated tone from my Roland A-80.Is this right? Or is there a routing problem from Korg in returning midi info?The tones play fine but there is no recording of any sound. Am I just totally ignorant or what? I Also have help files on the computer for ptle7 but they didn't get installed with the installation. How do I open these. Thanks you guys!
Old 08-19-2006, 09:20 PM

Default Re: does midi track generate wav. files in aux track?

Aux In tracks are basically like FX returns or subgroups on a traditional desk. As such, they do not "hold" any audio, ever. They only pass it, as fed through the Input, or via an insert.

The ONLY tracks in Pro Tools that "hold" audio are...Audio Tracks. These tracks are basically direct conduits from the hard drive, funneling in data from the drive, or via a detour to the PCU if RTAS is applied via an insert.

If you are trying to render MIDI to audio, it must be routed to a device. If you are using an external MIDI tone geneerator (synth, sampler, etc), and have the audio output of the synth routed to your DIgi hardware, then simply set the imput of an Audio Track to that hardware device's port, record enable the track, and then hit play+record. The MIDI will get sent to the tone generator, and the audio will leave it, enter the DIgi hardware, and then enter the computer via your Input selection on that Audio track. Leave the Audio Track unmuted, and it will pass the audio as it is recorded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:40 PM

Nikki ..........thanks for the quick response. You folks that have already learned the tricks are a real godsend to me. I would get frustrated and chuck all this stuff w/o outside help. bill
Old 08-19-2006, 09:40 PM

Nikki ..........thanks for the quick response. You folks that have already learned the tricks are a real godsend to me. I would get frustrated and chuck all this stuff w/o outside help. bill
Old 08-22-2006, 12:09 AM

Quote:
If you are trying to render MIDI to audio, it must be routed to a device. If you are using an external MIDI tone geneerator (synth, sampler, etc), and have the audio output of the synth routed to your DIgi hardware, then simply set the imput of an Audio Track to that hardware device's port, record enable the track, and then hit play+record. The MIDI will get sent to the tone generator, and the audio will leave it, enter the DIgi hardware, and then enter the computer via your Input selection on that Audio track. Leave the Audio Track unmuted, and it will pass the audio as it is recorded.
I don't really use midi but I think if you wanted to get each individual sound to mix down the beat setting up an auxilary track is the way to go. Just hook up your midi and audio and you can monitor the song like that also. Set up however many midi tracks you need route them to the auxilary track and bounce out each individual track. I believe that would work. That way you can map out all the sounds in one sweep in the song format and keep everything in time. Peace.