Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-24-2006, 04:20 PM

Default Maxim not working correctly?

I was on a mobile gig today. At the main studio I have my HD3 and PT7, but for the road I have a Digi002. Whilst using Maxim 1.9 on PTLE 6.7 whatever for Tiger, I realized that Maxim wasn't clipping properly. I put it on the master fader and expected it to work. I set the ceiling at -0.3, then even -3db. But in all cases, the meters pinged out. overloaded. I expected it to act like my L2 or L3 and brickwall the signal.

I do not use Maxim on my HD rig, so I don't know if its buggy in HD. Any of you guys have this issue?

brian
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:43 PM

Default Re: Maxim not working correctly?

i noticed this as well... i'm guessing it isnt exactly a brick wall limiter, i stopped using it immediately after. (lucky for me it was only a demo
Old 01-25-2006, 04:30 AM

Digi, how can this be? I thought Maxim was a brick wall? Not that I care too much. But I have recommended Maxim to some people who don't want to go the Waves or Sony route. Is Maxim broke for good or what is the issue?

Just out of curiousity...
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:43 PM

I've noticed that Maxim works fine as a brick wall limiter UNLESS you press bypass. If I bypass Maxim to compare and then turn it back on, I experience similar problems as described above.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:31 AM

in regards to posts about Maxim before. a few readers including myself have had problems with Maxim unable to act as a brick wall limiter...

Maxim is actually a brickwall limiter. i have since found that any break throughs of the maximum output are user errors. i have noticed since using this plug in conjunction with a C4 in front of it, that it will only clip its output level IF the levels are clipped before going in...

for example, in my C4, i had applied a little bit of make up gain, i noticed that the clip light was on, and from the output of the C4 had clipped itself by 1.4db. Maxim (which was directly following in the plugin chain) then was pushed above its threshold by the same amount. reading the Maxim manual it is made clearer by reading how the plugin works and applies its own make up gain.

so digi i apologise by saying your plug is faulty, it was only me who was faulted! since discovering this it has been working great and have had no clips!

i hope this helps out anyone who has had the same problem...

cheers, Matt
Old 04-12-2006, 07:12 AM

I had this problem on my mobile rig too. I'd put it on the master fader like my L2 and set the ceiling to -10dbfs but it would always go above this. If you have the vst wrapper there is a free plugin from a guy called george yong which is designed based on the L1 and it works really well and is definitly a brick wall limiter unlike maxim. Maxim also starts to crackle very quickly.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:08 AM

an L1 or L2 will clip too if you dont watch the front end.

as a test lower the master fader by 10 db then lower the threshold in maxim. what does it do? merekly lowering the input in the plug in isnt enough.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:32 PM

maxim does seem to clip it's designated output if the threshold is automated severely, however with a fixed threshold and a clean unclipped signal going in, i am unable to make it clip, and it truly does act like a brickwall limiter

it definatly isn't the best one out there, but i use it in a post production studio most of the time, so i don;'t need a really "musical" limiter, just something to keep peaks intact, which Maxim now does reliable (though i still keep Inspector right after it, and look for it's master alarm