Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2017, 07:34 PM

Default Re: PT 12.7.1 crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
It's an intermittent drive. Trust me. I went through thebexaxt same thing. Tomorrow the files might be there. Then the next day they will be gone. This can happen in any session. At that's still on the drive. You can run disk warrior etc... It will say drive ok. Then the next time you do it will say corrupted directory.

Get a new recording drive.

What I did after I figured out it was sporadic was wait for a day the files were actually there. Then moved it over to new drive.

The next day some files were missing again.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
But the session file and the session backup files are on the main drive. This is not that the files are not linking and I have a session with greyed out files. It's like 4 hours of work never happened on any drive. I do trust you but I don't know if we are talking abut the same thing.

Thank you for your input. I do appreciate it.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:49 PM

Default PT 12.7.1 crash

Do you have disk cache enabled?

Check the console logs for system errors or warnings (Console.app)

Verify the file system using the disk utility (luckily we have a much more robust file system than HFS+ coming soon....).

Do a Terminal find command for every file newer than the date of the few files you do have and let it scan all drives (e.g. specify / as the starting directory). Just see if it turns up anything. type "man find" into the terminal to see how to use it, or ask here if stuck.

I would be careful trusting that disk or the session file for future work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerSound View Post
But the session file and the session backup files are on the main drive. This is not that the files are not linking and I have a session with greyed out files. It's like 4 hours of work never happened on any drive. I do trust you but I don't know if we are talking abut the same thing.

Thank you for your input. I do appreciate it.
I know. I had "the exact same thing " exactly how you describe it. Substitute your name for mine. Exactly the same.

It happened to me 3x. Over months. It is because the physical drive is about to go. There is bad sectors on the drive platter that is being written onto.

Unless you are using ssd recording drive then it s not exact. It happens to me using FireWire spinning drives. Long time ago.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Do you have disk cache enabled?

Check the console logs for system errors or warnings (Console.app)

Verify the file system using the disk utility (luckily we have a much more robust file system than HFS+ coming soon....).

Do a Terminal find command for every file newer than the date of the few files you do have and let it scan all drives (e.g. specify / as the starting directory). Just see if it turns up anything. type "man find" into the terminal to see how to use it, or ask here if stuck.

I would be careful trusting that disk or the session file for future work.

Interesting. I don't know exactly what I'm looking at but the console log has activity every few minutes. It looks like 4 minute intervals. Sometimes its more active with more logs. There is no log activity after 10:34 AM until 2:05 PM when I shut PT down. Then 3:47 PM I see what must be my attempt to boot PT, 3:50 my force quit, and then at 3:53 PM my successful boot and then log activity continues at a rapid pace up to the current time.

Crazy?

Old 04-29-2017, 08:20 PM

Interesting. I don't know exactly what I'm looking at but the console log has activity every few minutes. It looks like 4 minute intervals. Sometimes its more active with more logs. There is no log activity after 10:34 AM until 2:05 PM when I shut PT down. Then 3:47 PM I see what must be my attempt to boot PT, 3:50 my force quit, and then at 3:53 PM my successful boot and then log activity continues at a rapid pace up to the current time.

Crazy?
Old 04-29-2017, 08:30 PM

What log file is that in?

Old 04-29-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
1) What happened during Save... Did PT Throw and error ?

2) What made you reboot Protools ?

3) Try this tool "EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard" and see if you can find the files.
Perhaps they are Hidden or place in some temp folder..

If Protools went thru' with the save command with NO errors. The files HAVE to be there and if they are not then that is serious bug inside of Protools. If you are certain about your time indications you might want to check the console app and see about logs being written at that point in time. Then if you find something take appropriate actions and contact vendors.
I'm recovering files now. I don't know if I have the files tracked today but I did hear some of the files from the previous crash.

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep you posted.

Scott
Old 04-29-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
I know. I had "the exact same thing " exactly how you describe it. Substitute your name for mine. Exactly the same.

It happened to me 3x. Over months. It is because the physical drive is about to go. There is bad sectors on the drive platter that is being written onto.

Unless you are using ssd recording drive then it s not exact. It happens to me using FireWire spinning drives. Long time ago.

Got it. I forgot that the session file is also on the audio drive. It is a 1T spinning drive. I'm trying to recover stuff now. Thanks for the info.

Scott
Old 04-29-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerSound View Post
I'm recovering files now. I don't know if I have the files tracked today but I did hear some of the files from the previous crash.

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep you posted.

Scott
It recovered some files but nothing that I did today. I'm stunned that we could do so much work and not have a trace of evidence that we did it.

Thanks for your input,

Scott
Old 04-29-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
What log file is that in?

The console log. The All Messages section.