Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 02-17-2017, 03:27 AM

Default Problem Eleven rack with tube amp

Hello everyone (sorry my bad english), I recently bought an Eleven Rack and a tube amp (Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III). I tried to connect them to each other through the 4 cables method in this way:

Guitar -> 11R Guitar input
11R Effect Send -> Tube amp Input
Preamp Out (send amp) -> 11R Effect Return
11R Output to Amp 1 -> Power amp in (return amp)

I read in various posts that to use the eleven rack only for its effects I have to set the "Output to Amp" to "Amp Input" and if I wanna use the Eleven Rack as preamp and use my guitar amp just for power and speakers I have to set the ''Output to Amp'' to ''Amp Output''. I tried both of the methods but the sound is really bad, also when active FX Loop and i set to 100% can not hear anything. Can anyone tell me step by step what should I do? An example of 11R virtual signal chain for both cases? Thank you all

Last edited by Greenwilly66; 02-17-2017 at 04:06 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:13 AM

Default Re: Problem Eleven rack with tube amp

How does it sound when you just hook it up
GTR out > 11r amp out > Amp input?

How does the amp sound by itself?
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:52 AM

I'm afraid I did not understand the links that you suggested. Anyway only the amp with the guitar sounds good
Old 02-17-2017, 12:00 PM

You have the proper way to connect the 11R with your tube amp for 4CM.
BUT, this 4CM method is only good for effects as using 11R as preamps will go like "an amp (11R) in an amp (Fender)" and will not sound good. If you want to use 11R amp modeling you need to connect:
Guitar -> 11R Guitar input
11R Output to Amp 1 (Rig Output No Cab) -> Power amp in (return amp)

Remember that even if only using the power section and the speaker of your tube amp, it will have a coloration you will like, or not. I had mixed results: didn't like my Carvin combo but raved my Peavey Classic 60/60 and 4x12" Celestion G12K-85 cab.

Back to 4CM.
What 11R effects you send to your amp depend of where you place your fx loop, everything before the fx loop will go in front of your amp and everything after the fx loop will go after your amp (preamp). I think the switch or the back should be set to Stompbox.

I am not in front of my 11R right now but instructions should be in the "ball park".
Set your tube amp to have a clean sound that you like, no reverb.
On 11R set the output to Rig Out No Cab and create a new rig. On that new rig, do something like this:
(input)(wha)(fx1)(dist)(mod)(vol)(amp)(cab)(fx loop)(fx2)(dly)(rev)(output)
Disable all blocks (including amp and cab).
Go to (input) block, set True-Z to Auto and set level properly.
Go to (fx loop) block, enable, set mix 100%, set to mono and adjust level properly.
Go to (output) block and adjust level properly, it can help also switching your display to Outputs Mode and make sure everything is at unity gain (you can also plug your guitar directly to your tube amp and disconnect 11R to make sure the sound is identical).

Your 11R is now setup the same as plugging a Tube Screamer in front of your amp and your should have a nice blues/rock sound. Enable/Disable distortion block with the front button to go from clean to drive.

Give us some feedback.

Last edited by DonaldR; 02-17-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:39 PM

ok it works in the way you've explained to me. as I understand it in this way I'm using my pre amp (fender hot rod) right? thank you so much
Old 02-17-2017, 02:21 PM

Is it sounding good now?
And yes if you want to use 11R amps (like Marshall Plexi) it will not sound good plugin 11R in front of the amp, it should be on your Fender fx return. But even plugged in the amp fx return it will be colored (for good or for bad) but you can put a parametric eq in the FX1/FX2 block and get a sound you like. Remember that a combo will never sound as a 4x12" closed back cab.

I think that using 11R as effect-only in 4CM is pretty good idea as effects are (basic but) top notch and industry standards.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:36 PM

I have tried various amplifiers disabling FX LOOP without losing too much time and it would seem sound good. As you suggested you give me, an equalizer might just solve everything. Tomorrow I will try my best with the Red Special, and will give further response. Thank you so much, you've been really helpful