Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2018, 08:17 AM

Default recording in stereo

Hi, i don't know how to record in stereo. My track is in stereo but as it goes in the sound card in 1, it's on the left and if it's in 2 it's on the right. I didn't have this problem before, it used to work in 1 and record in 1 and 2. Do you know what to do to solve this problem? I work on pro tools 10 with a scarlett 2i4. Thank you. Diego
Old 10-20-2018, 08:48 AM

Default Re: recording in stereo

It’s pretty hard to get a clear understanding of what you’re describing but I’m gonna take a stab at it.

Perhaps in the past you were creating a stereo track and so input 1&2 were what you as being fed to that track. Now t sounds like you may have a mono track so you’re only getting input 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2018, 09:04 AM

Or you might be committing a common newbie goof by thinking you must have a stereo track for everything. What is the source(what are you recording)? If its a vocal or maybe an acoustic guitar, those are mono sources and should be recorded to a mono track(using a single input). Once that gets recorded, then you can pan within the stereo field So much to learn, so little time

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-21-2018, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
It’s pretty hard to get a clear understanding of what you’re describing but I’m gonna take a stab at it.

Perhaps in the past you were creating a stereo track and so input 1&2 were what you as being fed to that track. Now t sounds like you may have a mono track so you’re only getting input 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hi, I was creating a stereo track with my electric guitar in input 1 on the Scarlett and I could record in pro tools in stereo left and right, and now I can't anymore and wonder why? the green light in the stereo track is only on the left. It's written input 1&2 output 1&2. I just notice that in fact I was on a stereo track with input 1 and now I can't have it anymore. I just can choose only input 1&2. Isn't it that I have to change the configuration in E/S I/O? Thanks
Old 10-21-2018, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Or you might be committing a common newbie goof by thinking you must have a stereo track for everything. What is the source(what are you recording)? If its a vocal or maybe an acoustic guitar, those are mono sources and should be recorded to a mono track(using a single input). Once that gets recorded, then you can pan within the stereo field So much to learn, so little time

Hi, I'm working with my electric guitar on Altitude from Jason Becker with a backing track. I thought it was better for the result to record in stereo. The problem is that I can only have input 1&2 selected in the track and before I could work on input 1.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:42 AM

The problem is that most guitars are mono, its like recording a vocal, people has only one mouth. You have to record in a mono track. Unless you have a guitar that has 2 outputs there's no other way around. On the mono track you can then insert stereo effects like reverb and delay to make it stereo, if you use inserts that say mono/stereo then the mono track is converted into stereo even though it will still have a mono input and information.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:35 PM

Its actually quite simple; A source that has a single output goes to a mono track. A source with left and right outputs goes to a stereo track. The last wildcard is a source that uses 2 mics, but is not a stereo source(like a guitar cabinet with both a ribbon mic and a dynamic mic). That should be recorded to a pair of mono tracks(so you can treat each separately).

In the spirit of teaching, recording a mono source to both sides of a stereo track does not make a stereo recording. It makes a dual-mono recording as left and right are actually the exact same signal.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave