Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 09-27-2020, 02:59 AM

Default S3L X AVB device not showing in iMac

I have S3L-X system using in my band and we are using the same system for doing our Studio recordings as well. Once in a while, once a recording is done and shutdown the system for the day and when we power on the system it gets unrecognized from iMac but the network works fine. In the mean time S3 surface could be connected as EUCON device but not as AVB device.

We are confident that we always follow the startup guidelines as per manual .Only solution we identified is to reinstall MAC OS. We had this issue around 5 times over last few months.

When the issues arises if I disconnect the network cable and reconnect it to a Macbook, system works as expected.

Is there anyone who faced a situation similar or related ?If so please share your experience. Anybody has a solution for this other than reinstalling please kindly share your thoughts and ideas.

Best regards
Chamika

System

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
CAT 6
Old 10-19-2020, 03:46 PM
Avid

Default Re: S3L X AVB device not showing in iMac

It's an OS issue, the AVB applications and preferences can get corrupted in the OS, and the OS itself blocks itself from fixing it. To fix this issue, disable SIP

Reboot the mac while holding Command R
Once it boots into recovery mode
Open Terminal from the Utilities Menu
Type csrutil disable hit enter
Type reboot hit enter

enjoy

[email protected]
Old 01-17-2021, 07:17 AM

Default Re: S3L X AVB device not showing in iMac

You shouldn't need to disable SIP. That disables a bunch of protections in macOS, and in multiple years of using the S3L, I've never had a need to do so.

The S3L can be finicky, and I too have experienced problems like you are mentioning. I would check a couple things.
- Is Port A of the S3 console plugged into Port C on the E3 Engine, and is the computer plugged into Port B of the S3 console? Any other configuration can result in AVB issues.
- Which version of macOS are you using? High Sierra is definitely a bad choice, but others (all the way through Big Sur) work well for me.
- Reopen the Audio MIDI Setup > Network Device Browser and verify that the E3 Engine is enabled as a virtual audio device.

If you want to troubleshoot further, you can use the avbutil command of macOS to see if the E3 Engine is visible at all. I've written about that tool on my wiki (https://wiki.forestent.com/Avbutil).