Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 10-13-2020, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Control 24 as an analog mixer?

I understand what you are saying Darryl, but to me, i'm moving slowly out the box. Different ways of working, I'm not really a fan of being in the box at all =) I'd rather research what can be done with the control24, rather than how to get a specific sound from a specific record. (Even though that sounds like fun to!)
Old 10-13-2020, 02:00 PM

You might take a look at Structure as its a sample player that allows you to drop your own audio clips into. Its pretty easy to make your own sample clips by recording single shot hits of all the 808 sounds. Once you create the clips, then you can do it easily in the box(and the Control24 is still designed to be a controller, and not much else, but its quite good at its intended function).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-13-2020, 02:13 PM

Hey guys, forget about the 808 already! My question isn't about how to get the 808 inside a plugin lol

I just wanted to know what routing options are there with the physical inputs and outputs on the Control24. (If it was just designed to be only a controller it wouldn't make much sense to add all the ins and outs, and also a monitoring section!) Just wondering if these ins and outs can be used even though i'm running ProTools.2020 version?
Old 10-13-2020, 02:34 PM

What do you want people to tell you? You are getting advice that this does not make sense, people accurately pointing out this is not a mixer in any usual sense. Open the Control 24 manual and read up about it. It is not a mixer, It’s a control surface with separate preamps and separate monitoring capability. It happens to have a line level mixer, entirely separate, than the DAW, not very useful. And why would you use that when your RD-8 box has a separate mixer built into it already.... which also gets you to a differential output.

The Control 24 was not really good in it’s day except as a control surface. It and the C|24 share similar hybrid approaches of trying to add stuff around the DAW.. which *is* the mixer.... both useful in their day, can be workhorse surfaces, but strange hybrid devices and otherwise just not great.

There are no “routing options” except for the ancillary options provided by the separate line level mixer and monitoring section.... everything else depends on Pro Tools.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post

There are no “routing options” except for the ancillary options provided by the separate line level mixer and monitoring section.... everything else depends on Pro Tools.
Thank you Darryl, this was actually the kind of answer I was looking for! Now I know why there is no reason to investigate further, because its not possible. I did read the manual but in todays context this was really unclear (to me at least)
Old 10-13-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonwalker2 View Post
Thank you Darryl, this was actually the kind of answer I was looking for! Now I know why there is no reason to investigate further, because its not possible. I did read the manual but in todays context this was really unclear (to me at least)
BTW what you are going through is not uncommon with the Control 24 or C|24. It take a bit of wrapping your head about what they are especially if coming from say a live mixer or console background... I mean they look like they must... I remember one poor live sound guy with a C|24 who so wanted to believe... he had the thing all wired up and everything and could not work out why it did not work as a live mixer.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:44 PM

Haha! that would probably be me as well if I didn't ask you guys. I still bought it for the controller features, but when i looked at the back i thought maaayybeee... ha!