Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 12-04-2018, 09:04 AM

Default Edit system builds - looking for practical options

Hello All

I am researching my options I need to oversee the build and support for 5 editing systems that can support :
  • Pro Tools Ultimate 2018
  • Avid Omni
  • Accurate video playback to TV
  • Editing and creative work with a fairly wide track count / bus structure in stereo only, no surround

We already have a lot of hardware on site 2010 MacPros, Native Cards & Omni's, enough to make at least 4 edit systems probably 5.

My question to the group is : considering the current state of Avid hardware and supported systems would you recommend building these edit systems using our existing (end of support) hardware OR can you suggest another option ?

My expectation is that if we use the existing (end of support) hardware that these edit systems will get us through the next 2 maybe 3 years. Obviously the advantage is the ROI because we already own all this stuff.

Honestly I am really quite pleased with the performance of my own personal MacPro 2010 with Native card, Omni, Dock and BlackMagic HMDI output but when I talk to my contemporaries they scoff and say this system is too old and no longer even useful compared to the performance of newer systems. I am not clear exactly on what hardware they are talking about and my experience with this vintage of equipment is that is is totally serviceable in terms of editing.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:27 AM

Default Re: Edit system builds - looking for practical options

There is no newer Avid hardware interface except the Matrix which for a stereo workflow is overkill. Omni is still current and useful. The only area for improvement is with your Macs, but I and many others are still using 5,1 Mac Pros with no issue. Use SSD's for system disk and media disks and max out the RAM.

Oh and Aja output cards are easier and less fickle than BlackMagic but either will work.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:35 AM

System responsiveness, scrolling, and plug-in graphics are all snappier on the newer Macs compared to the 5,1s (obviously). But I'd rather have a 5,1 and a Dock than a new Mac and no Dock.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:43 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Is anyone able to recommend pre-built hardware that runs Windows 10. In around 2017 I had been using a Lenovo P900 fully loaded that would not blink regardless of how heavy my sessions got. I'm wondering if some PC / Windows users can chime in on options here. Thanks
Old 12-07-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koo_koo_bonkers View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Is anyone able to recommend pre-built hardware that runs Windows 10. In around 2017 I had been using a Lenovo P900 fully loaded that would not blink regardless of how heavy my sessions got. I'm wondering if some PC / Windows users can chime in on options here. Thanks
HP Z series workstations are excellent. And Avid qualified.