Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2017, 06:57 PM

Default Error message

First attempt to launch...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (38.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-16-2017, 07:07 PM

Default Error message

Seriously? Did you read the 'Read this before posting'? Great screen shot, but the amount of information need to help you is overwhelming. Saying 'Big honkin' i7 and 32G ram' in your profile is not even close. Plus, also be aware that many of the folks that may have experience enough to help you, use Tapatalk. So, signatures don't show up.
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 09-16-2017, 07:17 PM

Default Re: Error message

Let's just say the computer power is not the issue.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReillyD View Post
You don't know that. There is no such thing as TMI (too much information) when asking for help here. Plenty of good people here who could help but we're not mindreaders or remote viewers or psychics.

QAPLA!
Old 09-17-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:

Well in that case; because you're not willing to provide more information or read the 'Read this Before posting'. Then you can reach out to Avid and use the support that you've paid for.

I'm done offering any assistance. My suggestion is that you use garage band.
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 09-17-2017, 08:32 AM

Default Same Error Message, Different Computer

This morning I tried installing ProTools First on my Dell garden variety laptop and got the same error message at launch. Absolutely nothing is anything but bog standard on that computer or my desktop workstation.
If none of you has experienced that error screen, then you're obviously not using Win 10 and can't help me. No matter. It is now completely clear to me that Avid has not the slightest interest in producing a viable Windows product. The port was a disaster twenty years ago, and it still is. I have absolutely zero interest in thrashing drivers. If Avid can't get it together to provide a product that can even launch, then they're down the highway. It must be nice to be so fat you're able to throw away nine tenths of your potential market. And after using Sonar Producer for umpteen years, I doubt Garage Band would be up to my requirements.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:40 AM

Default Re: Same Error Message, Different Computer

Quote:
This morning I tried installing ProTools First on my Dell garden variety laptop and got the same error message at launch. Absolutely nothing is anything but bog standard on that computer or my desktop workstation.
If none of you has experienced that error screen, then you're obviously not using Win 10 and can't help me. No matter. It is now completely clear to me that Avid has not the slightest interest in producing a viable Windows product. The port was a disaster twenty years ago, and it still is. I have absolutely zero interest in thrashing drivers. If Avid can't get it together to provide a product that can even launch, then they're down the highway. It must be nice to be so fat you're able to throw away nine tenths of your potential market. And after using Sonar Producer for umpteen years, I doubt Garage Band would be up to my requirements.
Why do you absolutely refuse to provide complete system info on either of your systems? Without that we're just wasting time. You're on your own dude.

QAPLA!
Old 09-17-2017, 09:05 AM

Default You're really not getting it.

It shouldn't matter what PC I have. The program should at least launch on a dead stock Dell laptop such that it can be fixed. Every other program or app I have ever used will at least start. This is the only one causing a problem. At this point, having tried the install on two PCs with no known vices I can about guarantee any of you that it would fail to launch. That fact should be painful to Avid, but it apparently they don't consider it sufficiently dire for them to do anything about it. So it will remain a Mac only app, which is fine, but why waste my time with a product that won't start? Did they really think I would pay big bucks for an upgrade when they can't even get the cut down version to run?
Old 09-17-2017, 09:59 AM

Default Error message

And if there was widescale problems with Pro Tools First not launching there would be lots of folks here complaining about this. And there are not, so it's likely you, something you've installed on the computer, your ISP or God knows what. So you can contact Avid support or go buy another DAW. There are lots more choices out there and and many more capable than Pro Tools First.

You seem to think you have a standard PC, I will bet you don't, you have a Dell laptop with pile of factory and personal c r a p ware installed, including AV software, utilities etc. And Dell in general is one of the last vendors I would recommend for any DAW system. Wipe the system and do a stock Windows install and little else and have this problem then I would start to worry it is a widespread issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2017, 10:27 AM

And if there was widescale problems with Pro Tools First not launching there would be lots of folks here complaining about this. And there are not, so it's likely you, something you've installed on the computer, your ISP or God knows what.

Couldn't be the program is effed?

The one and only program I've ever installed on any computer in thirty years that wouldn't launch. What are the odds?
So you can contact Avid support or go buy another DAW.

No thank you, everything else works fine. Photoshop, Sonar Producer, Power Director, you name it, it runs beautifully.

There are lots more choices out there and and many more capable than Pro Tools First.

Which will be my next stop, since Avid obviously has no intention of producing software that will run on a bog standard Windows computer.

You seem to think you have a standard PC, I will bet you don't,

Yes I do.

you have a Dell laptop with pile of factory and personal c r a p ware installed, including AV software, utilities etc.

Oh woooo, other software and utilities. My bad!

And Dell in general is one of the last vendors I would recommend for any DAW system.

Your loss you're not using the most reliable computer ever produced.

Wipe the system and do a stock Windows install

If this is the best advice you so called experts can come up with then that tells me all I need to know about the quality of this forum.

and little else and have this problem then I would start to worry it is a widespread issue. Go ahead and try to install First on any PC and get back to me.