Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2015, 10:47 AM

Default Audient id14 Interface & Great River Pre-amp i/o

I am new to Pro Tools. I just purchased an Audient id14 interface and Great River Pre-amp, and need help routing the inputs and outputs within Pro Tools 11. I have an XLR going out of the Preamp into the 2nd line input of my interface via TRS. I also have my two monitors in the two outputs of my interface.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Audient id14 Interface & Great River Pre-amp i/o

Sounds like the physical routing is set up correctly. What issues are you running into within Pro Tools?
Old 12-15-2015, 01:42 PM

I cannot record using my microphone and preamp. I can play audio through my studio monitors though. The interface is defintely detected in Pro Tools. I attached screenshots of my i/o screen & my track that I want to record on, maybe that will help.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:08 PM

Debug one thing at a time. The Audient has it's own mic preamps. Have you been able to record with those? In the same physical input channel you are trying the preamp in. With the same mic and cable? Same Pro Tools Session?

If that works then the problem is likely all in the preamp or wiring to the interface.

What mic are you using? Phantom power on if it is a condenser?

Is the the track record armed? How experienced with Pro Tools are you?

Do the LEDs move on the preamp? Meters move in that channel in Pro Tools? (but nothign appearing on the track?) If you zoom in on the track is something recorded that you just can't hear/monitor when tracking? If you turn preamp gain all the way up do you record/monitor a hiss or similar noise?

What exact model preamp do you have?

Make sure the cable is a plain TRS to XLR cable propely wired. You are going into the rear panel TRS input on channel #2 right, not the DI input.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-15-2015 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:36 PM

Start off by setting ALL tabs of the I/O setup to default.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:25 PM

Hey guys I appreciate the quick responses, on other forums some people take months to reply. I figured out the problem, Phantom power wasn't activated on my pre amp. All it took was a push of a button haha. I have another question how would I create a separate headphone mix, or just be able to switch between my monitors and headphones in Pro Tools 11, since I record and mix in the same room, and would like to switch between my monitors and headphones ? Is this possible with a Audient Id14 ?
Old 12-16-2015, 01:59 PM

+1 for Darryl then, he had it pegged.

Check the iD4 manual for information about setting up cue mixes. I know that can be done through the id4's mixer app, I just don't know for sure whether you can achieve this by using prefader sends from within Pro Tools (which is how you usually would manage a cue mix in PT).
Old 12-16-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jortiz7 View Post
I have another question how would I create a separate headphone mix, or just be able to switch between my monitors and headphones in Pro Tools 11, since I record and mix in the same room, and would like to switch between my monitors and headphones ? Is this possible with a Audient Id14 ?
You need to read the documentation or the Audient, it contains a good discussion of the monitoring capabilities and main and headphone outputs. If you are monitoring the same main mix output, not say providing performers with custom headphone mixes you just feed the same DAW output to both the monitors and headphone outputs. And there is really nothing I would do in Pro Tools... the natural place to configure where the DAW output gets monitored is really in the Aidient iD mixer app.