Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2014, 12:58 PM

Default Re: Blue Cat Patchwork & Cthulhu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenjb View Post
Why the need for 2nd midi track? The instrument track can be assigned to the 1st patchwork with cream in it.(mix or edit window view > 'instruments' in pro tools is where you assign this). Should be automatically assigned tho.
Yes it is automatically assigned. I can check some more. I do know that the way I just defined does work...and is in line with the earlier tutorial...which left out having to also set the input on the 2nd MIDI track to Patchwork.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:04 PM

Let me say again, a huge thanks for all the suggestions and help!! Especially from Blue Cat!!

Old 11-15-2014, 09:39 AM
Blue Cat Audio

Glad that you managed to sort things out!
Old 09-10-2017, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Thanks to Blue Cat's additional info, I think I got this figured out...FINALLY!

The missing step is you still have to have the input on the MIDI track you want to play be set to the Patchwork Input and the Output goes to your VI.

The instructions just provided word fine for playing live...but if you want to have Cream applied to already existing MIDI part, you still need 2 midi tracks PLUS the instrument track. So here's the step by step:

To play live - do as suggested here:

- create instrument track
- add PatchWork synth plug-in (Synth 1)
- insert the arpeggiator plug-in on first PRE slot
- setup MIDI output to 'Host' (all channels)
- add your own AAX synth plug-in on the same instrument track (Synth 2)
- add MIDI track
- setup MIDI track input to first Patchwork Synth, output to your synth
- arm both tracks for recording (instrument and MIDI)

BUT, if you want to play back a MIDI track already recorded you need to modify the steps thusly:

A simpler setup for your use case (which seems to work better) would be the following (you may need to restart with a blank project from scratch):
- create instrument track
- add PatchWork synth plug-in (Synth 1)
- insert the arpeggiator plug-in on first PRE slot
- setup MIDI output to 'Host' (all channels)
- add your own AAX synth plug-in on the same instrument track (Synth 2)
- add 2 MIDI tracks
- set up 1st MIDI track OUTPUT to first Patchwork Synth (Cream in this case). PUT THE MIDI DATA YOU WANT TO PLAY ON THIS TRACK!
- setup 2nd MIDI track input to first Patchwork Synth (which comes from Cream), output of that track to the VI you want to play (and is sitting on the same instrument track as Patchwork hosting Cream)
- record arm ONLY the 2nd MIDI track (no need to arm the others).

Hit play and whatever arp you've got going on in Cream will now play your VI hosted on your instrument track. I just did this using Xpand as the test. This means that you can use Cream to create all sorts of nifty arps and patterns and come up with amazing basslines, chord patterns, arps, etc. And, you can apply arp sequences to other MIDI parameters as well, like the filter cutoff, or resonance or both... this just got really interesting! Its going to take a while to learn all that Cream can do...but from what I've seen so far...its pretty versatile.

I just wanted to say thank you to DonaldM and Blue Cat Audio for working out this issue. I was already feeling hopeless as I had been searching different fora on the web regarding this particular case. There seem to be only a few on different fora, and it was only here where a concrete solution was posted. Very clear and step by step even! How great is that? Now, I can FINALLY purchase Cream! THANK YOU again. It has really, REALLY helped this once-poor, weary soul IMMENSELY!
Old 09-10-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoil the Child View Post
I just wanted to say thank you to DonaldM and Blue Cat Audio for working out this issue. I was already feeling hopeless as I had been searching different fora on the web regarding this particular case. There seem to be only a few on different fora, and it was only here where a concrete solution was posted. Very clear and step by step even! How great is that? Now, I can FINALLY purchase Cream! THANK YOU again. It has really, REALLY helped this once-poor, weary soul IMMENSELY!
We're all here to help each other! Glad this helped you!
Now, stop reading this and go have some musical fun!.