Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-27-2017, 03:03 PM

Default Using Mbox 2 as a headphone amplifier with S/PDIF input

I'm wondering if it's possible to use the Mbox 2's headphone output to monitor an S/PDIF input signal, effectively using the Mbox as a headphone amplifier for a digital source.

This particular scenario involves getting the source signal from a Playstation 4 through the optical audio output port on the console and using an optical to coax converter to connect to the S/PDIF input port on the Mbox 2. What additional steps would I need to take in order to hear audio from the digital input through the headphone output? Do I need to set the clock source to S/PDIF through software?

Trying to use what I have lying around to drive some higher impedance cans, so I appreciate any help you guys can provide. Thanks.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Using Mbox 2 as a headphone amplifier with S/PDIF input

You are hammering a screw in with the wrong size hammer.

The MBox 2 has very limited hardware monitoring/mix capbility. It can't hardware monitor S/PDIF inputs. So you would need a DAW like Pro Tools open to provide that mixing/monitoring.

Skip the TOSLINK to coax adapter. Good headphone amps with TOSLINK S/PIDF input are available for a few hundred dollars. And a good one will sound a lot better than an MBox 2.

Grace m900 would be on my wishlist (I have the higher end Grace m920 and multiple similar amps, and the m920 is my favorite), but at $500 may be more than you want to pay. You can find lower cost options also with TOSLINK input depending on what other features you want.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Using Mbox 2 as a headphone amplifier with S/PDIF input

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You are hammering a screw in with the wrong size hammer.

The MBox 2 has very limited hardware monitoring/mix capbility. It can't hardware monitor S/PDIF inputs. So you would need a DAW like Pro Tools open to provide that mixing/monitoring.

Skip the TOSLINK to coax adapter. Good headphone amps with TOSLINK S/PIDF input are available for a few hundred dollars. And a good one will sound a lot better than an MBox 2.

Grace m900 would be on my wishlist (I have the higher end Grace m920 and multiple similar amps, and the m920 is my favorite), but at $500 may be more than you want to pay. You can find lower cost options also with TOSLINK input depending on what other features you want.
You're absolutely right, the sensible thing would be to invest in an amp/DAC that supports the inputs I need. I mostly just wanted to know if the Mbox had any hardware monitor capability for digital inputs, so thanks for clearing that up.

That Grace looks incredible and worth the money. I've been using the Mbox 2 as a headphone amp with my PC as well and have been looking into better alternatives since there's quite a bit distortion at higher listening volumes with my Beyerdynamic DT880s.