Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2023, 06:22 PM

Default Re: headphones no sound

sorry for not putting specs
Old 06-07-2023, 07:18 PM

im thinking its a hp problem not pro tools or maschine. a setting or something i overlooked.
Old 06-07-2023, 07:46 PM

Oh why are you faffing around wasting time with Windows audio and ASIO4ALL... if you want to work with Pro Tools you should forget this crap and buy a proper ASIO interface. Say starting with a Focusrite 2i2 interface, budget model but they work great. And you just plug your headphones into the 2i2 and it *will* work.

If you can't get a proper ASIO audio interface then I'd suggest giving up on Pro Tools and switching DAWs, especially to Reaper.

Who knows why your laptop audio is not working? Read "Help us help you" up the top of this DUC page. You've been on DUC for over a year and 70 something posts and should be doing better providing clear info, you are expected to provide all this info and more in your first post. Including a SiSoft Sandra report where we could then work out what *exact* model HP laptop you have and exactly what audio chipset it has and if it's headphone output is a discrete device or if it's only mirroring the main output.

If the laptop has a discrete headphone device you may not have have that setup correctly in ASIO4ALL, or your Pro Tools IO paths may not be set up correctly (delete and default all the Setup>I/O>bus and Setup>I/O>output paths and see if a separate headphone device appears).

It's maybe more likely the headphone shares the speaker audio, in which case the analog headphone is likely just not making contact with the headphone socket contacts correctly, maybe the socket or headphone jack is damaged. Even if sharing the speaker audio it may be you simply have the headphone volume in the laptop turned down, but normally you'd expect the headphone socket use to cause the laptop speakers to mute.
Old 06-07-2023, 09:11 PM

this might be problem. this is the x. which is my headphones i think. how do i take off x?IMG_20230607_224432142.jpg

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Tapatalk
ssl 2+
Old 06-08-2023, 02:24 AM

Very likely the problem. Presumably your laptop has discrete headphone sound and that's the red cross device.

This red cross can happen because some other Windows app or Windows sound itself has the headphones open and ASIO4ALL cannot get access. There may well be other reasons.
Old 06-08-2023, 06:06 AM

so, next steps should be? i opened maschine software press the realtek sst 2. and sound came from headphones, i tried to do same thing with pro tools and it messed up everything had to disable drivers to get it to work again?,

ssl 2+
Old 06-08-2023, 06:51 AM

Darryl has posted the next steps for your system.

The issue is that ASIO4ALL cannot get access to your output, so you need to locate the source of whatever is using it and either switch it to use another output or disable the program if possible.

The better solution is to get a proper ASIO interface. The Focusrite that was suggested is a proven interface and will work well with Pro Tools.

System Details
Old 06-08-2023, 07:57 AM

i understand, i have interface already but im traveling need it more convenience for the road. anyhow, so something is using it? if thats the case how do i shut off. disabling it the headphone driver. hp has speaker/ headphone option. what could be using it?

ssl 2+
Old 06-08-2023, 02:01 PM

yes, disabling worked, had to choose sst2 from realtek then it worked. great news thanks with pc it changes on you the realtek settings i hope it stays this way thanks for help. peace.

ssl 2+