Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 10:28 AM

Default Can I ...pre fader, pre plugin Monitor??

The only choices I have found are pre fader (post plugin) and post fader (post plugin)

How can I monitor the input signal if a plugin is in the chain??

I have a button for "Input" on the C24, but after 4 years it still isn't implemented.

What am I missing??
Old 06-20-2005, 10:39 AM

Default Re: Can I ...pre fader, pre plugin Monitor??

Bus out to an AUX channel and put your FX on the AUX and mute the AUX if you want to hear only the input.
Control 24 - (2)192's
Old 06-20-2005, 02:03 PM

It would be a great idea for Protools's mixer to be able to allow you to solo a track pre plugins.

I had a little rant about this some years back on this board. The solo functions of protools's mixer are limited and the "solo bus" shares the masterfader, so you always hear the soloed track with the masterfader plugins still active. Expanding solo functionality would be a great improvement to the software.

Mind you no one else seems to mind, and granted, it probably would be difficult for Digi to implement.

So I'm not holding my breath on this one.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:18 PM

6.9 has 3 solo modes.. and they don't all include the Master Mix's fader when you solo. Offhand I can't think of any large format console which has a pre insert solo.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 06-20-2005, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Offhand I can't think of any large format console which has a pre insert solo.

Rail
80xx series Neve desks, if wired as such, can utilize the SOLO path on the 1081 module. Very handy for tracking sessions... but hardly any desks were wired for it... shame...

Personally, I HATE the fact that ProTools doesn't automatically indicate the REAL input level when a track is in Record-Ready or input. Is there any way we can petition this to happen? Creating an Aux input (muted) that shows the input on a meter is a real PITA workaraound...

Can other frustrated folks chime in here? Is there any valid reason why the meter function is more useful post-plugin or post-fader when in record/input? Let's fix this!!

Cheers eh?
Old 06-20-2005, 03:59 PM

that΄s always a big discussion with that nuendo-freaks visiting me in my studio... aahhhmmmm... fact!

count me in!
Old 06-21-2005, 07:19 AM

I agree, pre fader metering in record mode should be pre everything so you can realy see the actual input level.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:37 AM

Doesn't anyone remember? We DID have input metering......but digi re-wrote it for no reason
This is one of the big reasons we never upgraded past 5.1.1
the 5.1.3 update was the one that TOOK AWAY Input Metering when a track is in Record

Even with quickpunch (opening up regions pre-punch), and Even with video cameras and screens in each iso, control room, etc, it is SO SO helpful to actually SEE the meter level so you know when the performer is begining to "play" along with the track, or you can quickly discern if they are "barking" some instructions (wrong spot, headphone mix adjustments) so don;t have to wait until the punch to find out that they have been screaming off mic, or something. This feature has allowed me to catch some pure improv when a player has decided to play something better in the spot before the "punch". I can function more seemlessly instead of having to have another discussion and possibly loose the whole idea,etc, etc...

Anyways to get back to the real point of this thread:

one silly workaround for the "pre-Plug in / pre automation" solo would be to open an Audio Suite plug (Gain, etc) and either set it to "0", or "bypass" and then use "PREVIEW" to play back the track / region in question (assuming that your "preview" outputs are clear of any external processing, etc.).
Mac Pro, os12.6.3, PT 22.12 HDX, 2xAlphalink,1xDeltaLink,
Mac Mini, os12.6.3, PT 22.12 HD Native + HD Omni, Artist Series Mix x 2, Artist Series MC Transport, Atmos 5.1.4
VENUE SC48 3.2 with iPad Control
SSL Duality
SSL Duality via ipMIDI / ∂elta Automation Plug-In