Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 02-28-2016, 04:42 AM

Default Re: Longtime music engineer, looking to set up surround system

great info and interesting ideas (adding Barefoots), thanks to all.

A few added pieces of info that I could/should add.

#1. Essentially this is "for fun"/learning since my business doesn't currently have a revenue stream that would benefit from this purchase. However, should that change, I would like the system to be pro enough to do real work. No one has replied to the idea of using the Barefoots as "back up" for critical listening. Do people do this? Working in surround but switch to stereo monitors (either folded down or not) for small amounts of time as they eq etc?

#2. I am in a unique position to get the 308 system (5 plus the sub) for near cost, it's low. Does that change things? I suppose you would judge a speaker less harshly in a deal like this?

#3. I realize I am trying to "go cheap" here and may regret it, wouldn't be the first time.

Regardless, I will try to make this a demo first based on what I am hearing here.

Thanks again.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:41 AM

I think you've made a good choice for your purpose. I put LCR 308s in my smaller edit room here after auditioning a pair. Low cost and good performance. I have a pair of Gen1030a's for surrounds in that room and frankly I prefer the 308's over the 1030a's. For 308's low cost they kick well. Bass is a little flabby/hyped, I have no issues otherwise.

In my opinion the 308's biggest weakness is lack of power. In this tiny room, within the sweetspot, they measure well and have more than enough power. Outside of the sweet spot the image and balance is wack, but as I said it is a tiny room and may not be the speaker's fault.

You'll have a lot of fun and over time will learn if they translate for you.

Last edited by Postman; 03-10-2016 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
I think you've made a good choice for your purpose. I put LCR 308s in my smaller edit room here after auditioning a pair. Cost vs. performance is small. I have a pair of Gen1030a's for surrounds in that room and frankly I prefer the 308's over the 1030a's. For their low cost they kick well. Bass is a little flabby/hyped, I have no issues otherwise.

In my opinion the 308's biggest weakness is lack of power. In this tiny room, within the sweetspot, they measure well and have more than enough power. Outside of the sweet spot the image and balance is wack, but as I said it is a tiny room and may not be the speaker's fault.

You'll have a lot of fun and over time will learn if they translate for you.
this is the answer I was hoping/waiting for. Someone to tell me I am doing the right thing all things considered. So thanks!

Will still make sure my dealer will take them back if I am super underwhelmed.

Old 03-09-2016, 02:02 PM

Update: The LSR308s with sub are here.

Not hooked up yet, so no sound review. They're bigger than I thought. And while you can tell they're a budget speaker (knocking on the cabinets sounds a little hollow etc), the fit and finish it actually quite nice.

Slammed with work but hope to get some signal through them by Friday.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg JBLs.jpg (29.9 KB, 0 views)

Old 03-10-2016, 07:12 PM

I am interested to hear what you think of them! I edited my earlier post to clarify what I meant when I tried to say they are a tremendous value, sound wise. I was surprised. I used my trial pair to do a final mix of a doc. Set them in the mix room on stands and kept the volume at "bedroom" levels. They revealed some issues I hadn't heard before (which is why I bought) and frankly, I had FUN mixing on them. So, I'm curious what a music guy thinks.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
I am interested to hear what you think of them! I edited my earlier post to clarify what I meant when I tried to say they are a tremendous value, sound wise. I was surprised. I used my trial pair to do a final mix of a doc. Set them in the mix room on stands and kept the volume at "bedroom" levels. They revealed some issues I hadn't heard before (which is why I bought) and frankly, I had FUN mixing on them. So, I'm curious what a music guy thinks.
I've got them unboxed and prepped. But it's looking like I'll have to reconfigure the front of my control room a tiny bit to get them into place. My room is set up for stereo (and needs to stay that way) so the center channel is looking like it'll go above the LCD. Probably not ideal but it is what it is. So, I've got a fellow engineer coming by next Thurs to help me, can't risk messing with anything at the moment.

Will definitely report back as this adventure progresses!!

Old 03-11-2016, 06:41 AM

Any way you can go under the LCD? Mounting it above might cause a lot of nasty reflections from your desk or control surface.

Post a pic of the front of your room. Maybe one of us can think of an alternative?
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment
Old 03-11-2016, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucienpalmer View Post
Any way you can go under the LCD? Mounting it above might cause a lot of nasty reflections from your desk or control surface.

Post a pic of the front of your room. Maybe one of us can think of an alternative?
I did think of this as well but above is easier with the stands etc I have here. But you're right, I probably should shoot for this instead. Makes a lot of sense.

Here's the room. I've got the right JBL roughed into place already. hard to tell in the dark pic, but it's to the right of the Barefoot.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CR-front.jpg (29.7 KB, 0 views)

Old 03-11-2016, 08:44 AM

Oh, I see. By LCD you meant your main desktop screen? If that's the case, I won't be too high up. I was imagining something closer to the ceiling and pointing down. If you are talking about just above the screen that's turned on in the photo, you should be fine.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment
Old 03-20-2016, 05:21 PM

Update:

I got the speakers all set up and that went well. I think the positioning turned out as well as could expected in a “stereo” control room. See pic. These JBLs are hard to photograph!!

So, my fellow engineer that gave me a hand setting up had a bunch of music surround mixes that I was able to listen to. The Doors (quad mix actually) Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, and a few others. I think these JBLs sound really good when playing back “finished mixes”. All of the aforementioned mixes sounded really good through these speakers. Will need to actually mix on them to determine how they are as a “work” monitor. Music mixing experiments to follow. In this area I feel pretty comfortable moving forward.

As for learning more about Post/Film/TV work, where do I start? I’ve read a lot and have watched a lot of video over the years so I understand the basic terminology and workflows. But I know enough to know I don’t know much practically.

For example, these JBLs don’t include any sort of bass management, I’m guessing I need a plugin? I tried Avid’s Downmix plugin which was cool except that it doesn’t have a Bypass, you have to remove it?? Odd. Any other surround specific plugins/software to be aware of?

Also, I know I can listen to finished movies and TV shows in the studio to familiarize myself with the way they sound, but is there a place I can download PT sessions of movies or TV shows to have content to mess with?

If anyone here is able to share anything with me (in the strictest of confidence of course, please contact me privately)

I think that’s it for now.

Thanks in advance
Drew

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CR.jpg (46.8 KB, 0 views)