Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2016, 08:25 AM

Default Re: Longtime music engineer, looking to set up surround system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
The 308s are so cheap, and for what I will be using them for, I am willing to take the risk.

For example, if/when doing a surround music mix, I can do all eq'ing/comps/basic balances etc on the Barefoots and only use the JBLs to hear the spread etc. If/when doing any post type work, I think the JBLs will likely be representative of consumer's systems.
Good point! I was just a bit surprised over the build quaity and how they sounded compared to a few steps up like 4328's or even Genelec 8040's but if it doesn't matter that much and you know what you get for the miney then why not

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-27-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Full time recording/mixing/mastering engineer since 1991. All work in stereo up til this point. Interested in setting up surround system in the studio to coexist with my Barefoot MM27s and NS10s.

Will mostly be music work, possibly getting into post at some point. Or at least learn and tinker with it a little bit.

Anyway, looking at the JBL LSR series (8" speakers, 10" sub) as a cost effective "way in" since it's not going to be an "earner" necessarily.

Anyone running these monitors?
Hey Drew, I'm running 5 Genelec 1032A's, but actually I am not running my surround at all at this point. There is hardly any calls for it. I had put a lot of money into it 12 years ago and it never really took off. As soon as I build a new place, I probably will though. I hight recommend having someone come and tune your room though. It's a lot different than Stereo of course as you know-:) I recommend Bob Hodas to do it. He is worth every penny!! Believe me. When I diid several film mixes, his tuning was invaluable! www.bobhodas.com
G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 02-27-2016, 09:31 AM

thanks to everyone for your advice, it's appreciated.

Any thoughts on the 3 series vs the newer 7 series?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:20 AM

Drew, a couple thoughts on these.

The MSRP on the 708i is $1500. So street price is probably $1000-1200.

Also be aware that these are not powered monitors. They are passive, so you will need to factor in the cost of amplifiers for 5 channels.

Also for what it's worth, I auditioned the cheaper 308's in my room and was not super impressed.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Drew, a couple thoughts on these.

The MSRP on the 708i is $1500. So street price is probably $1000-1200.

I auditioned the cheaper 308's in my room and was not super impressed.
Thats our finding aswell. Foggy and unclear and very poor composition of the build. The 308's have a strange tweeter field and doesn't relay the highs well.

But as said the price is low enough but you will not get more than half of that back if you are disappointed after a few months or more so count in that to the overall investment. We had the same system as Gregory Ives (1032's) in 5.1 and thatbwas amazing until all 5 of the 1032's started sounding a bit flat and tired after 15 years so that was the reason we went Quested all the way, also great for post and mixing.

We also have the obligatory NS10's and our Barefoot MM35 and mix on the MM35 and LSR4328's wihich sound awesome.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-27-2016, 12:22 PM

Just a thought for Drew here:

When mixing dialog for TV, the center channel is all-important. You need to know that it's really accurate. And when prepping music and/or a song for TV or film, you also need that center channel. Depending on what your clients need and where you have to deliver your mixes, you might be better off upgrading to LCR by adding (1) Barefoot.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
Just a thought for Drew here:

You might be better off upgrading to LCR by adding (1) Barefoot.

Smart. Good option. Then add something less expensive for the rears.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment
Old 02-27-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
...I was just a bit surprised over the build quaity and how they sounded compared to a few steps up like 4328's or even Genelec 8040's...
Regardless of price, my ears disagree. But that's cool!!! I got sold my Gennies after getting the 308's.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume

Last edited by EGS; 03-01-2016 at 07:10 AM.
Old 02-27-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucienpalmer View Post
The JBL LSR4300 translate very well to broadcast.
I have 6328s in my studio, and 4328s in the production office studio, and the 4300s do not translate as well.

Just sayin.
Old 02-27-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Thats our finding aswell. Foggy and unclear and very poor composition of the build. The 308's have a strange tweeter field and doesn't relay the highs well.

But as said the price is low enough but you will not get more than half of that back if you are disappointed after a few months or more so count in that to the overall investment. We had the same system as Gregory Ives (1032's) in 5.1 and thatbwas amazing until all 5 of the 1032's started sounding a bit flat and tired after 15 years so that was the reason we went Quested all the way, also great for post and mixing.

We also have the obligatory NS10's and our Barefoot MM35 and mix on the MM35 and LSR4328's wihich sound awesome.
ALSO.. I have not had my 1032's 15 years, so maybe that is why they sound good. I also listened to a bunch of them and picked this out of 20 or so!
Another reason to get them running thru EQ's in the room since you never know why the speakers start to sound different. I have not had this problem, but the speakers that I have had a bit of trouble with either got shipped back early on to Genelec for inspection and repair, which was minor.. or I sent them to an excellent tech here. Not really hearing a problem at all here. In addition, I have never been much of a fan of Quested. Maybe it's because of what I do. I know Hans Zimmer used to use them, but they seems a little low end or something to me, and not exactly what I was looking for in a speaker for my control room. But that's me. Maybe it was just an off listen. Running my Genelec's thru my Meyer EQ's they sound amazing still! I get enough of that with the sub I use if needed. I actually don't like them too bright or colored either. I do run them broadcast wide open and never did need to adjust the switches on the back for bass roll off, treble tilt or the other one which I can't remember. Also the sub I have is a 1094A Sub. http://www.genelec.com/support-techn...tive-subwoofer.
They have certainly served me well. I could spend a ton on speakers, but will not upgrade until I get into my next house we will be building with a brand new studio adjacent on the property of 2 acres! That's the plan!
G

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS

Last edited by gives; 02-27-2016 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Addition