Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 06:58 AM
tundra

Default Re: FAST! Software In Use With Pro-Tools 12 -Video links

snake oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinaston View Post
I have been making posts about Fast! software which I have been really impressed with having installed it 48 hours ago it has so far returned a big dividend in speeding up my PC system and has improved the performance of Pro-Tools on my system, including eliminating the infamous -9173 error.

I have made some short videos (no sound track) that shows the System Resources Meter in Pro-Tools and it's reactions during playback of a large Pro-Tools project that I am currently working on.

Since installing Fast! http://veryfast.io

I have experienced ZERO crashes/lock-ups/shutdown errors, as well as experiencing an appreciable difference in speed and stability of my i7 - 6700 CPU @ 3.4GHz 32 GB RAM PC system and have no qualms in recommending Fast! as a valuable asset to stabilise recording sessions, the result being faster workflow and increased productivity, all adding up to an enhanced user experience I think.

Video 1 shows Pro-Tools 12 with a large project running with FAST! activated (running in the background), the System meter is open all through the clip and there are shots of the various CPU intensive plug-ins working without the slightest hint of any over-taxing or red line spikes:

https://youtu.be/OVkHs-qfkCY
Old 04-28-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
I think this is a case of YMMV. I just tried the demo on my PT computer - W10, PT12.7.1 - and it bogged it down. PT was slow to open, so were other programs and opening a browser took longer than usual. Rolling back to the image I made before trying it out. Fortunately I don't stress PT and I'm not - touch wood - having the 9173 and other errors some are experiencing. Now, of course, I've totally hexed myself
That's interesting, are you using SSD for system drive?
Old 04-28-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundra View Post
snake oil.
Why would I take all the time and effort if it was a con? There's always the sceptic and that is healthy but all I have to say is I am better off for it and you won't be, so that fair enough by me. I do rather resent being called a liar so I suggest ya back off or I just might turn into a nasty ol' viper.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
That's interesting, are you using SSD for system drive?
No, no need. I don't use many tracks and no virtual instruments and rarely have video in a session. As I said, personal experience as it is for you and YMDV as did mine.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 04-28-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
No, no need. I don't use many tracks and no virtual instruments and rarely have video in a session. As I said, personal experience as it is for you and YMDV as did mine.
It may be why I am seeing such a profound difference-I wouldn't have believed SSDs would make such a difference until I tried one, I would never go back now especially dedicating one specifically for audio capture and another for sample storage as well as a system drive SSD.

I think Fast! is interacting with the SSDs to really stabilise and speed up system performance, like I said I don't work for 'em, I am not any commission I am purely sharing the info here so it may be of benefit to other Pro Tools users cos I have had years of grief coping with lock ups/crashes -9173's etc that very nearly turned me away from Pro Tools altogether. Now though, King DAW.

Harrison Mixbus sounds fantastic and I am a subscriber also, but it simply isn't as easy nor full featured as Pro Tools 12. However, Mixbus 32C 4 is due soon...hmmm
Old 04-30-2017, 08:26 AM
tundra

Quote:
Why would I take all the time and effort if it was a con? There's always the sceptic and that is healthy but all I have to say is I am better off for it and you won't be, so that fair enough by me. I do rather resent being called a liar so I suggest ya back off or I just might turn into a nasty ol' viper.
I do like that their website is full of hidden ads and has one of those pop ups when you try and leave.

Totally legit.

Last edited by tundra; 04-30-2017 at 08:40 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otnooishphoo View Post
I do like that their website is full of hidden ads and has one of those pop ups when you try and leave.

Totally legit.
No problems here with it. If they want to use pop-ups plenty of web sites do the same, use ya pop up blocker. It is called "selling a product" in case you're not familiar with the concept.

Look. I don't work for 'em neither am I getting any commission for plastering it on as many bulletin boards as I can. I have got better things to do with my time like making music, and any tool that helps me do that and increases my productivity is ok in my book and it just happens that unlike a million other so called boosters this one has actually made a difference so I'll keep using it and I'll keep saying how good it is in my usual benevolent manner to anyone who off his own back wants to experiment with it.

If you don't and ya just want to come on here poking me with your sarcasm I suggest you get back to your home work sonnyjim.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:19 PM

Hey for all you snake oil doubters out there I have found another good 'un!

https://bitsum.com/how-probalance-works/

Its free its safe and it works and no pop ups either!!! And no I am not on commission with this lot either, I am just a brave adventurer reaping some indispensable dividends.

Happy trappin' y'all.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:55 PM

I tried FAST on a crappy i3 laptop at work, end it was a huge difference in performance. A slugish old laptop suddenly felt responsive....
When I get some free days in the studio I will try it there also.
After a backup of course :)
Old 05-18-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi68 View Post
I tried FAST on a crappy i3 laptop at work, end it was a huge difference in performance. A slugish old laptop suddenly felt responsive....
When I get some free days in the studio I will try it there also.
After a backup of course :)
I have Fast! running flawlessly on all three of my machines, my main studio PC running Pro-Tools is so fast and stable I can scarcely believe it. Fast! has been running for over a fortnight and I have not experienced a single serious crash. I have had the odd -9173, but nothing to chuck me out or non-recoverable without re-boot. Before I was using Fast! I would experience two or three lock-ups in every session which would ruin the workflow and physically tire me having to recover sessions sometimes having to re-boot 4/5 times before stability re-asserted itself with the O/S figuring stuff out and bringing itself back to order.

Fast! is simply an essential tool which has increased my productivity and enjoyment massively.

Process Lasso is similarly very good with the added bonus it is freeware (pro version is paid but as far as I can see not necessary except for corporations running servers etc). I have been running it again on all my machines for the last couple of days, not one crash nor problem (Fast! is also running), I have a laptop which has become prone to CPU hogging background apps, and although I am still experiencing issues with it, Process Lasso has lessened the problem.

On my main PC machine (i7 @3.40 GHz 32 GB RAM), performance is flawless.Responsiveness is being monitored and measured across 8 virtual cores as is RAM load, and in normal computing (just doing what I am doing now, no audio apps running), performance responsiveness is measuring at 100%, RAM load, nominal. I ran a Pro-Tools session earlier and CPU was hardly ticking over, same with RAM load.

It is safe and easy to install, I recommend it and I still obviously recommend Fast! for an overall enhanced computing experience, simple as that.
Closed Thread