Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 10:31 AM

Default FAST! Software In Use With Pro-Tools 12 -Video links

I have been making posts about Fast! software which I have been really impressed with having installed it 48 hours ago it has so far returned a big dividend in speeding up my PC system and has improved the performance of Pro-Tools on my system, including eliminating the infamous -9173 error.

I have made some short videos (no sound track) that shows the System Resources Meter in Pro-Tools and it's reactions during playback of a large Pro-Tools project that I am currently working on.

Since installing Fast! http://veryfast.io

I have experienced ZERO crashes/lock-ups/shutdown errors, as well as experiencing an appreciable difference in speed and stability of my i7 - 6700 CPU @ 3.4GHz 32 GB RAM PC system and have no qualms in recommending Fast! as a valuable asset to stabilise recording sessions, the result being faster workflow and increased productivity, all adding up to an enhanced user experience I think.

Video 1 shows Pro-Tools 12 with a large project running with FAST! activated (running in the background), the System meter is open all through the clip and there are shots of the various CPU intensive plug-ins working without the slightest hint of any over-taxing or red line spikes:

https://youtu.be/OVkHs-qfkCY
Old 04-26-2017, 10:40 AM

Default Re: FAST! Software In Use With Pro-Tools 12 -Video links

https://youtu.be/4gSC4y7zsYo

video 2 shows Pro-Tools running with Fast! disabled, watch the system usage meter
Old 04-26-2017, 11:27 AM

https://youtu.be/UopAZmLH16E

Video 3 actually shows a red line spike as Pro-Tools is first put into play but this has no effect on destabilising the system and recovers immediately, Fast! is running in the background throughout and I have accessed the Windows System monitor app for analysis of what is going on in this clip.

Bear in mind, I ran a session yesterday of approximately 12 hours editing in Pro-Tools without a single glitch/crash or error on this same project file.

The system usage shows that with Fast! running in the background Disk usage is considerably less and memory usage is also reduced.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:35 PM

How optimized is your system?? Are you using Diskcache? I am seeing literally no difference in my CPU usage or disk usage meters in the Task Manager or PT System Usage. This is on my main recording system which is heavily tweaked and optimized. It runs like a tank.

I see a difference on my laptop, which is just my general internet machine though.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 04-26-2017, 02:43 PM

I might give it a try when I have time as I have 3 completely different computers that can't go past 12.4 without 9173 errors everywhere.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatzer View Post
I might give it a try when I have time as I have 3 completely different computers that can't go past 12.4 without 9173 errors everywhere.
Well as I said above, it may be a happy marriage between Fast! and multiple SSD's, at the end of the day Fast! doesn't cost a fortune for a few months' trial or if like me you can get the lifetime deal for $39.95 it may work out for you, it has made a massive difference for me, I am here now editing and no sign of the dreaded -9173, in fact I have had the system usage meters open and it is only ticking over, feels very fast, stable and reliable, hope this helps.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
How optimized is your system?? Are you using Diskcache? I am seeing literally no difference in my CPU usage or disk usage meters in the Task Manager or PT System Usage. This is on my main recording system which is heavily tweaked and optimized. It runs like a tank.

I see a difference on my laptop, which is just my general internet machine though.

I keep my system drive uncluttered and do regular routine clean ups but that's all. I will say though that having an SSD as the sytem drive, an SSD as my samples drive and another SSD to write audio to, this has also made a massive difference and I think that using Fast! with this setup it is finding the optimum configuration for my system.

SSD's are far, far superior to the old drives, I would never go back. I don't therefore know if Fast! would be of any great advantage on older type drives although I think they say it does improve their performance.

Bro what is Diskcache please?
Old 04-26-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinaston View Post
I keep my system drive uncluttered and do regular routine clean ups but that's all. I will say though that having an SSD as the sytem drive, an SSD as my samples drive and another SSD to write audio to, this has also made a massive difference and I think that using Fast! with this setup it is finding the optimum configuration for my system.

SSD's are far, far superior to the old drives, I would never go back. I don't therefore know if Fast! would be of any great advantage on older type drives although I think they say it does improve their performance.

Bro what is Diskcache please?
My OS's are heavily tweaked and optimized. I am guessing that is the reason I am not seeing any benefit. All that stuff is taken care of.
My audio drive is still a "spinner", but its not even an issue until I start hitting around 100 tracks. In theory, it should help a slower drive more than it would help a faster drive.

Disk Cache might be HD only, cant remember. It loads portions of the audio around your playhead into ram to give you a faster response time for start/stop and take the drive transfer out of the equation.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 04-26-2017, 04:09 PM

My guess (knowing nothing about the product) is that FAST is a ram disk or alternate disk cache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post

Old 04-26-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
My guess (knowing nothing about the product) is that FAST is a ram disk or alternate disk cache.

I am sure you are right bro
Closed Thread