Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 01-07-2017, 08:17 AM

Default On the fence about renewing

My subscription is up for renewal and I am having a hard time justifying spending 400 bucks.

I spent the first 6 months of my last with a broken product that literally was so bad I could not use it. I reverted to 11. Which i already owned.

Plus no HD only features to justify the added cost.

Avid made no attempt to give any kind of relief to us folks having major issues. Nothing. At least a couple free months would have been awesome. But nothing. Sorry dude but its your computer. Which it was not. Once 12.5.1 came out the issues i was having were gone for the most part. I have had from then until now of usable software. Before then was a nightmare. I now have a functional version. Some familiar bugs still there and not addressed. -9173 with click track still there. But it works.

I'm just debating is it worth 400 bucks? Having a hard time here.

What do we have to look forward too? What big things are on the horizon for HD users to get me excited about spending more money?
Old 01-07-2017, 09:14 AM

Default Re: On the fence about subscription

Here is what AVID is doing:

1) Continuing to plow money into cloud collaboration - hoping to hook you in

2) Dabbling in DSD audio with the new interface

Given that you can buy a new copy of 12HD for $1100, if you can make it for 2-3 years as you currently are, you are not going to miss out on any major new workflow features, just tweaks.

The odds are not good that AVID wishes to fix -9173 any time soon.

The money is probably not the issue; it is what message do you send AVID?

Do you reward their current irresponsible behavior?
Old 01-07-2017, 09:30 AM

Didn't renew my HD support plan either. $399 just for "point" updates that don't work as well as my 12.4? (I've called support ONCE in 15 years, and that was over the 002 power harness issue. That was when it was still Digidesign and they still took care of things!) I have to stay with what works, and can think of a lot better places to spend $399.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
Didn't renew my HD support plan either. $399 just for "point" updates that don't work as well as my 12.4? (I've called support ONCE in 15 years, and that was over the 002 power harness issue. That was when it was still Digidesign and they still took care of things!) I have to stay with what works, and can think of a lot better places to spend $399.
Exactly!! I also signed up for the DUC for the exact same issue, a 002R power harness failure! In that thread I posted:

Ok, I believe Digidesign just won me over. I called Tech Support and stated my problem. The next (!!) day I received a package through UPS Express containing a brand new power supply and DC harness. My machine is up and running again, with minor downtime in my studio.

Thanks Digidesign!

These were the good times! Right now I'm struggling with the same issue as you do. I currently have around 20 open cases with Avid, mostly about MIDI bugs and ADC not working. Some non-critical issues, and others real showstoppers. Basics of the basics. But they don't move. I think there's a limit to what paying users should tolerate.

Thank you.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:07 AM

Default Re: On the fence about renewing

I see a lot of folks complaining about this and for me its a value because I just tinker at home and only need the 99 deal. If I were the HD folks I would be pissed because I think 400 a year is a lot when you already invested so much. What I wonder is if you stop subscribing after you already surrendered your earlier license, do you still have a working version or did they time bomb ya? That would be insult to injury. If you just get to keep that current version and that is it, I think it fair since you already paid for it.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:25 AM

I have not used cloud collaboration once.

I'm trying to use the loops but workspace is throwing up and access violation.

Tell me why should I spend anymore money on this?
Old 01-07-2017, 10:28 AM

soundbase throws and access violation everytime. Even after rebooting on windows.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonetl View Post
I see a lot of folks complaining about this and for me its a value because I just tinker at home and only need the 99 deal. If I were the HD folks I would be pissed because I think 400 a year is a lot when you already invested so much. What I wonder is if you stop subscribing after you already surrendered your earlier license, do you still have a working version or did they time bomb ya? That would be insult to injury. If you just get to keep that current version and that is it, I think it fair since you already paid for it.
I surrendered my license for the new one and my new license still shows all my old PT versions....If it didn't, I wouldn't have surrendered my old one....moon
Old 01-07-2017, 11:56 AM

I purchased the vanilla "perpetual" version 12 last march 2016,for $600.00 wich expires soon. does anyone know what the going rate for us is?
Old 01-07-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro perez View Post
I purchased the vanilla "perpetual" version 12 last march 2016,for $600.00 wich expires soon. does anyone know what the going rate for us is?
When younsay "soon" you mean like end of march right!? As it came with a 1 year annual plan.

$99 without support and $199 with support and annual plan with dot releases and whatever else comes along

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————