Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-28-2005, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Let me get this straight..

Tony, you make excellent points, and I agree with nearly all of them. I've no doubt I'll be able to do much more in HD than I was ever able to do with my MIX or LE systems. No doubt at all. I have no doubt that I'll learn to work around whatever limitations I encounter in HD.

Will any system ever be "perfect"? By definition, no. I get that. My frustration, which I think is obvious by now espcially if you read my car analogies (and if you are reading this thread and haven't read that part, I'd invite you to do so), is just that I have to give up *anything* I had in a "lesser" system, when going to a "better" system. Just because there are ways to work around these things, and do incredible things while doing so, doesn't make the fact that said things exist "Ok". I think you see my point on that, based on your post; I am not sure some others do.

You're right, saying "fix it now" won't help. The only thing that would would be moving my business over to <shudder> Nuendo, or the like. Me, and a few hundred others. That this won't happen, and thus I am forced to accept these deficiencies, makes it all the more frustrating, and breeds resentment (in me, but in thousands of others, too). Just a little more explantion from my end. I'll try to spare you from further ranting on the topic.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:46 PM

Quote:
You're right, saying "fix it now" won't help. The only thing that would would be moving my business over to <shudder> Nuendo, or the like.
i'm curious...and not being a provacative jerk...why don't you? does nuendo provide you with everything you want? does logic? i am not implying that you can't complain, or..suggest improvements. i just want to know why you didn't chose those other programs.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 07-28-2005, 07:00 PM

I didn't choose another platform b/c despite it's limitations, Pro Tools is the best for what I need to do, and obviously it's the industry standard. I also don't like staring at the equivalent of an extra-terrestrial control room, so Nuendo in particular was out. Other programs do lots of things better, but a lot more worse, than PT. My issue, again, isn't so much with PT as a program, as much as with PT HD not doing everything PT LE can - the focus being everything. Let's not debate whether HD is better, as a whole, than LE - it's not even worth discussing. But if I upgrade, it should be *all up*, not *mostly up, some down*.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:08 PM

Quote:
But for them most part, HD users are working really well within the known parameters of HD.

Do you want it to change, sure. Should it change, probably.

But look around you at other users who are using HD, somehow they are managing to get mixes out day after day and are completely doing it with little muss or fuss.
Yeah, the people who complain are the ones who are trying to do new things, to push the limit, to see where it goes from here. There are always going to be people who are happy with the status quo and who won't be able to understand why other people are clamoring for change.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:29 PM

thanks for your answer. i understood your point. and i was pulling a little off topic. sorry. i just went from my 4-track-->paying some to track 24tr -2"-->paying some to track ADAT (yikes!)-->me doing Studio Vision Pro (which i miss)-->me doing PT. i saw a demo of nuendo a few years ago and i was impressed. i just didn't want a host-based system. but i don't know enough about these other programs, so i am asking for an education in comparisons. and, for sure, me too, i don't think PT is perfect. i know it DEEPLY, so i see things that could be better.

as for tony's post, beside being an AMP SNOB! , sorry, just like saying it, [and i'm one too] he makes a (dangerous) point. sure i know his work. his clients are more high profile than most of mine, and he does good work. he could probably so good work in LE. (but you know there is some whipper snapper who will kick arse in LE) i agree with him that most of these things come from people who were in LE. there are people in his position who refuse to go to HD, and many in post who refuse to go to HD. a friend down the block who works on high profile music projects, still uses hix mix++, or uses a hybrid analogue PT thing and only occaisionally an LE to edit, mix small projects. but he teaches on an HD. point is, he dislikes them all for one reason or another, but he makes them work. that's what pros do.

i can tell for sure, but i am willing to bet that DIGI does watch this forum pretty closely. they just see no reason to jump into every single post. i, for one, am glad i am not a software engineer. (i suppose you guys are glad too! ) ... a lot to contend with and whenever i have gotten a good tech on the line, he or she has explained to me a lot of the techincal reasons why things are the way they are. maybe they are just blowin' smokey mostly, i am happy, my rig is stable, i can work fast and powerfully, composing music, mixing music, tv spots, radio spots, films, cutting dialogue, sound design, or just effin' around do my own crazy shee-ite.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 07-28-2005, 10:13 PM

Quote:
he dislikes them all for one reason or another, but he makes them work. that's what pros do.

Amen Minister. Preach on.

Find what works for you, and make it work. Don't get caught up in the technological limitations. Judge the work, for what it is, not how it was constructed. Admire and appreciate art, not the paint brush and canvas.

Push the envelope until it pushes back, and then use your noggin to figure out how to get more. It makes you smarter to figure things out for yourself. It makes you sound less smart to complain about the most powerful recording systems in history.

Aknowledge, adapt, move on.
Anarchy Post
1811 Victory Blvd
Glendale, CA 91201
818-334-3300
www.anarchypost.net
Old 07-29-2005, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Does everyone here drive a Ferarri? (I'm not even sure if I know how to spell Ferarri?).

It's Ferrari! Thought you americans knew everything about 'em, after the great win on indie the other week...

Tubz
Old 07-29-2005, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Does everyone here drive a Ferarri? (I'm not even sure if I know how to spell Ferarri?).

It's Ferrari! Thought you americans knew everything about 'em, after the great win on indie the other week...

Tubz
ferrari's make more than just left turns
Old 07-29-2005, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Tubz
ferrari's make more than just left turns
denver grand prix coming up!!!!!!! it friggin RULES!!!!

left, right, and straightaways.

nascar sucks! haha.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:44 AM

bring a mic (and a recorder), record some race cars!