Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Let me get this straight..

Quote:
Voce, you havn't understood the true beauty and the power of a HD accel-system. If you are at home, using this system for tracking a couple of tracks at the time, and then mix your songs at home. 30-40 tracks at once in a mix? 50 maybe? I would say you we're better of with a 002 and a super converter! Because if you havn't heard the difference yet... Maybe time for some new monitors... Or preamps? How about a really tight acoustic treated controlroom?
When that's said I have to admit I was feeling abit like you when I upgraded... But see it like this: You can buy a really good mic for a couple of 100 dollars. And make perfect music with it... Then if you wan't something a bit better, you might pay 5000 dollars to really improve! It's the same with DAW's. Small differences and slight improvements and better stability. But it costs. Either you're in it to make the BEST [bleep], and now you have it! Or else, go back to your old system and use your money on whatever turns you on! Good luck!

T

Tubz, It's not that I don't appreciate what the HD system has to offer. I would not have purchased a loaded brand new HD3 rig with cash if I did not. And i heard the difference INSTANTLY - it's amazing how different it sounds. The system is awesome, for what it is.

My point is, I want ALL the funtionality I can get (and that I once had) out of my HD rig AND my G5. There is no reason whatsoever that when making such a huge investment I should be forced to surrended ANY functionality that I once had. The math can bite me. Just fix it, Digi, and fix it now. Code PT correctly for OSX and for dual processors, and multiple DAWs at once, for that matter, and don't handicap me AT ALL. I paid my money, I want FULL functionality - both TDM AND HOST, on the level I'd find in competing "mere" host-only programs costing thousands less. Fix it. And fix it because it should be fixed - not because you're not losing enough money to justify fixing it. Be the leader you'd like to be.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Tubz, It's not that I don't appreciate what the HD system has to offer. I would not have purchased a loaded brand new HD3 rig with cash if I did not. And i heard the difference INSTANTLY - it's amazing how different it sounds. The system is awesome, for what it is.

A'ight! Now I now we're you's at! No need to say more! I have made a choice to stay we're I'm now and don't upgrade anything! But I keep an eye in here and really hope the next versions of PT will fix your issues! Best of luck!

Tubz
Old 07-27-2005, 02:30 PM

It doesn't take much looking to see that the "fix" you're demanding is called HTDM. It's up to the manufacturers to make their plug-ins compatible and flexible within PT, not the other way around. These frustrations should be directed to PSP software since they're more likely to port their plug-in for HTDM than Digi is to completely re-write their code or change the way signal is internally routed to and from the CPU.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:47 PM

Did that. Still think the problem should be fixed, moreso than the workaround encouraged.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:59 PM

Hello. I think the point others have made is that there is nothing to 'fix', there is no 'bug'. It was designed this way from day one. I know that you understand it also, and just disagree and feel frustrated. Look at it this way also. LE systems have other 'functionalities' as you call them that TDM systems do not. Portability, mic pre's and a 32 bit floating point internal bus are three that I can think off the top of my head. Any LE user going to a TDM system could complain about losing those 'functionalities' and how that should be 'fixed'.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:25 PM

<<Get over it! your now on TDM!! it has HUGE advantages over LE>>

I just spent a few grand and upgraded from a 001 to a Mix+ (both clocked to a Rosetta) and, frankly, I'm not seeing "HUGE" advantages.

Here's what I see:

-the ability to run TDM plug-ins (not a huge deal since most companies make RTAS equivalents which are about half the price).
-higher track count
-beat detective (which I never use-- I prefer editing drums by hand)
-the object grabber tool

Am I missing some of the huge advantages?
Old 07-27-2005, 03:55 PM

you havent run any REALLY high track count projects then and you must monitor off a mixer too. When i was using my digi001 on my quicksilver Mac I was lucky to get a few plug ins running on a 32 track project. and the screen draws were horrible. I would never go host again, ever.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:14 PM

I have a MDD 1.2 and notice minimal improvements in functionality. (I DO monitor via a mixer.)

I'm not going to whine, but i just want to point out that there are not _huge_ gains going from a 001 to Mix+, on my system. But at least the system is expandable... with 2 more farm cards I WILL see a major improvement.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:42 AM

Dopamine, I agree, your improvements are not that big, but they are ok, for the price, I think! If you run a real studio w lots of live multitracking, mix is WAY ahead of 001...

BR Tubz
Old 07-28-2005, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Dude, wipe that LE off your face and stop whining! It's like a woman who gets an "enhancement" and then complains that she doesn't fit into her old bra.
Man. I can't believe how many jerks there are on this forum. Somebody complains about a lack of functionality, and a bunch of bimbos pile on to the guy defending the fact that RTAS isn't well integrated into the TDM environment. Why? Do you guys want your software to suck? This forum is saturated with people who seem bent on defending Digi against any criticism, no matter how deserved. How bizarre.

I also agree that the RTAS limitations in the TDM environment are totally lame. Many very cool RTAS plugins have been developed in the past few years, and the real problem is that Digidesign has been way behind the curve in recognizing that TDM/HD users need the same functionality that LE users have with RTAS plugins in order to use them. Voce is bang on with his criticism. Fortunately, I have heard that a solution is coming soon.

RobMacki...grow up.