Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 06-29-2005, 01:25 AM

Default Re: Listen up - the digi users are speaking...

Quote:
Matt_G - can you be specific about which 'bugs' you're referring to and what, specifically, the issue is with HTDM plug-ins?
I used to sometimes experience the slow spinning beach ball & freeze up bug while trying to import audio files. I think I narrowed it down in some instances where if I opened a new session (template) & then dropped some audio files into the newly created session folder or made a folder called "Audio Files" then went back to the session & tried to import them from there, it would freeze up on me.

The problem with HTDM plug-ins was documented in the 6.9 release notes & I realize that you would be aware of them but still no fixes have been made available. I only use 1 HTDM plug-in with my sessions & that's Sound Toys 'Filterfreak' it used to quite often ommit whitenoise distortion at random times, with the only solution being a hard bypass of the plug-in & then re-enabling it. Now there is a new bug with 6.9 where I got random audio clicks while playing back or bouncing regions to disc. This wouldn't be too much of a concern if it was only in the monitoring chain, but 100% of the time if I heard a click during a BTD it would be in the resulting audio file when I checked the location time where I heard it. This is frustrating if you get 2/3rd's of the way through bouncing the song & have to start again. I can not afford to be worrying about random clicks when I'm mastering it's both unprofessional to me & my clients.

The other things I mentioned aren't bugs as such but annoying changes never-the-less. Those being the shortcut for fine adjusting volume automation & not being able to double click stationery pads. With the latter I know there was the excuse of blaming Mac OSX's use of stationery pads, but then why has the ability to double click stationery pads begun to work properly again since going back to Protools version 6.7cs8 with OSX 10.3.9? It just doesn't make sense & all other versions of Protools 6.x will work with stationery pads correctly. I don't call this progress.

Quicksilver 933MHz G4
1.25G RAM
1 x 60G Seagate system drive ATA 7200rpm
1 x 40G IBM Deskstar back up drive ATA 7200rpm
1 x 250G Maxtor Audio Drive ATA 8MB cache 7200rpm
Mac OSX 10.3.9
HD3 - 1 x Core, 1 x ACCEL, 1 x Process
Digi 192 Digital I/O
Protools 6.7cs8

www.matthewgraymastering.com

Brisbane Australia
Old 06-29-2005, 08:55 AM
Avid

The 'stationery pad' issue is due to a change that had to be implemented in Pro Tools to conform to Apple's standards for OSX 'bundling' of the application. This change had to be implemented at some point, otherwise we would be introducing more work further down the line. Because Pro Tools now conforms properly, the stationery pad behavior is now working 'properly' according to Apple spec. Try it with any other application - TextEdit, Word, etc and you'll see the same behavior.

Regarding the new automation features - we understand that the changes may impact some users, but we (and a majority of Pro Tools users) feel that the new features more than make up for the temporary inconvenience of learning a new method. These were features that have been asked for by a vast majority of Pro Tools users and some changes had to be made to be able to integrate them - we tried to do it in a way that would cause the least amount of impact.

Lastly - the pops and clicks using HTDM plug-ins. Are any of you who are experiencing problems with HTDM plug-ins using a buffer size of 1024 or larger? If so, does reducing the buffer size help at all? Besides the SoundToys Filterfreak, are there any other HTDM plug-ins that seem to be especially problematic?
Old 06-29-2005, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Besides the SoundToys Filterfreak, are there any other HTDM plug-ins that seem to be especially problematic?

Hi, I've tried waves HTDM (Q-clone), sampletankXL, plugsounds, altiverb and kontakt 1. None of them worked as they should in 6.9. As someone said, random cliks/pops and feeze, even with just one of them on. So I hurried back to good old 6.7cs8...

Tubz
Old 06-29-2005, 02:21 PM

I've had lots of issues with pops using any of the izotope stuff. (Not sure if it's TDM of HTDM)
is PT 7.9 ok with OS X 10.3.9 BTW ???

cheers,

-christian stonehouse
Old 06-29-2005, 09:08 PM

Quote:
The 'stationery pad' issue is due to a change that had to be implemented in Pro Tools to conform to Apple's standards for OSX 'bundling' of the application. This change had to be implemented at some point, otherwise we would be introducing more work further down the line. Because Pro Tools now conforms properly, the stationery pad behavior is now working 'properly' according to Apple spec. Try it with any other application - TextEdit, Word, etc and you'll see the same behavior.
<snip>
Just to add, in case you missed it - if you drag the template (stationery pad file) to the Pro Tools icon in the dock, or open it from within Pro Tools, it works like it used to.

Danny Caccavo
Digidesign
Old 06-30-2005, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Just to add, in case you missed it - if you drag the template (stationery pad file) to the Pro Tools icon in the dock, or open it from within Pro Tools, it works like it used to.
Danny,

Thanks for posting this. I think this is a reasonable solution and your explanation makes total sense. If anyone needs to bitch, call Apple. You guys put this info CLEARLY in the 6.9 readme file, so there shouldn't be any surprises.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:04 AM

Quote:
I've had lots of issues with pops using any of the izotope stuff. (Not sure if it's TDM of HTDM)
is PT 7.9 ok with OS X 10.3.9 BTW ???

cheers,

-christian stonehouse
what computer? i used to use a Dual 500 G4 and when i switched to a Dual 2.3 all issues went away. also, larger buffer sizes will help.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:27 AM

Quote:

Danny Caccavo
Digidesign
I put a folder on my dock containing all the templates I use, has a PT icon on it, opening from the dock works great. I just click on the folder and select the template I want to use.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:37 PM

i've been having random clicks and pops using altiverb 5 in 6.7cs8 as an HTDM plug-in. which buffer are you suggesting changing? DAE buffer (level 2 default) or the H/W buffer size?

thanks,

chris forrest
Old 06-30-2005, 02:56 PM
Avid

That would be the H/W Buffer size.