Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2012, 02:56 PM

Default Re: PT10 and Kontakt

Difficult to reduce the instances of VI that I used, since I had 1 open. As far as I can tell, it's not a RAM issue. There is now 16GB of RAM available in PT10 when there used to be only 8 in PT9. When I get the clicks and pops, or error messages, the Activity Monitor shows a hard drive spike, not a CPU spike. The CPU is only about 10%. My sample drive is separate from my audio drive, internal SATA, and in fine shape. Something is wrong here.
I may try VE again. The last time I did it crashed a lot.
Still learning Logic.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:17 PM

I know you're all saying that it's not Avid's fault for various reasons. But my situation is that I plunked down 7 grand on the upgrade because the Avid product rep said that with the HDx card handling more of the load I would be able to run a lot more virtual instruments. Then, after the upgrade, I find I can run fewer virtual instruments. When I call Avid to try to work it out, they say Kontakt 5 is not supported so there's nothing they can do. I'm not in a happy place.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:29 PM

If you don't have the desire to run VEPro, you could try Reaper. Pick up a demo and ReWire it to Pro Tools, then run Kontakt in Reaper. This works very well for me.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-13-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveskinner View Post
Difficult to reduce the instances of VI that I used, since I had 1 open. As far as I can tell, it's not a RAM issue. There is now 16GB of RAM available in PT10 when there used to be only 8 in PT9. When I get the clicks and pops, or error messages, the Activity Monitor shows a hard drive spike, not a CPU spike. The CPU is only about 10%. My sample drive is separate from my audio drive, internal SATA, and in fine shape. Something is wrong here.
I may try VE again. The last time I did it crashed a lot.
Still learning Logic.
Mate, PT 10 can not see more than 3.5 gig because it's a 32 bit application, that has always been the case for 32 bit applications. It's how it is. PT 10 does not see 16 of ram. it sees only 3.5 gigs of ram. So yes it's a ram issue.

When Pro tools becomes 64 bit (next version) then it will be able to access all the available ram on your motherboard, without any tricks as ram cashing (which is only available on hdx- hd-N and through the toolkit) ect. And that ram cashing is only good for the timeline (audio files) not plugins. So until PT 11 comes out, you will be limited to the maximum ram access a 32 bit application offers.

Wave-T.com
Old 02-13-2012, 04:22 PM

the extra ram that PT10 uses is for 'audio' files only (playback). but this is a separate address space that PT10 creates to be able to do this. VIs are still restricted to the 32bit app limit...4gb...which in Windows is really about 3.5gb as previously stated. VEPRO5 is the way to go IMHO...much more efficient in runnin' VIs.

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 02-13-2012, 04:50 PM

Thanks. I'll check out Reaper. I'll also lower the RAM use of the instruments.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveskinner View Post
Thanks. I'll check out Reaper. I'll also lower the RAM use of the instruments.
There's not a whole heck of a lot you can do to do that except to render to audio one vi at a time. You'll just have to either go the Reaper rewired route or try VE Pro again. With proper setup it should work (VE Pro that is) quite well without problems.

QAPLA!
Old 02-14-2012, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Mate, PT 10 can not see more than 3.5 gig because it's a 32 bit application, that has always been the case for 32 bit applications. It's how it is. PT 10 does not see 16 of ram. it sees only 3.5 gigs of ram. So yes it's a ram issue.

When Pro tools becomes 64 bit (next version) then it will be able to access all the available ram on your motherboard, without any tricks as ram cashing (which is only available on hdx- hd-N and through the toolkit) ect. And that ram cashing is only good for the timeline (audio files) not plugins. So until PT 11 comes out, you will be limited to the maximum ram access a 32 bit application offers.
Theoretically PT can see 4GB RAM. The reality is a LOT less than this.

On my system PT throws up a memory error at 2.7 or 2.8 GB RAM usage according to OSX's Activity Monitor. Usually I've crashed well before then so I keep PT memory usage below 2.3 GB . It does't matter if you've got 32GB.... PT will start running out of memory at well UNDER 3GB and you will crash and burn.

Also a number of VIs eat up memory and don't release it properly. It pays to regularly restart PT when opening new sessions etc.

As mentioned MANY times in this thread and others, this is all a result of PT still being a 32 bit app. Logic, DP, VE Pro etc. were just as bad until they went 64 bit and many high end plug ins are STILL 32 bit only anyway.

Until PT goes 64 bit, keep PT's memory usage below 2.5 GB at most, use Kontakt's Memory Server or use a 3rd party VI host, (VE Pro is the best.)

Finally set your buffer to at least 256K and preferably higher.

It's also worth mentioning that a few VIs are having issues with PT10. Trillian and BFD to name but two.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:21 PM

Thanks for the tips. I'm less angry now.
I'm working with Reaper and unfortunately the 64 bit version doesn't work as a ReWire slave so I'm still getting problems. Better than PT alone, though. Is VE Pro 64 bit?
Old 02-14-2012, 12:36 PM

VE Pro is 64 bit AND it rocks. You can use 32 and 64 bit versions along side each other, with both feeding PT at the same time. (keeping your 64 bit plugs in one and the 32 in another if you like). And its great for making templates up and things like that. Stable as heck in my world, and i use it 80+ hrs a week.
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.